Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

Without having to spend a fortune on the Olympus Flashguns , can anyone tell me a good and not too pricey flashgun they have been using with the E-1?

gambo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

Depends on what you want to use it for...there are various flashes from the underpowered FL-20, to the midrange FL-36, to the high-end FL-50...and then there are the specialized ring and macro flashes. Here's a list of the Oly flashes available:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_acc_flash.asp
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:18 AM   #3

Thank you, I was hoping that there might be vivitar or sigma or other brands of flashguns that i can use as the Olympus ones are very expensive compared with others.

thanks anyway

gambo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:41 AM   #4

You can buy any old manual or auto flash that has a safe trigger voltage for digital cameras, but you won't get the control that you will with a dedicated TTL (Through The Lens) flash, which the Oly models are.

The Oly flashes talk to Oly cameras, and they "see" through the lens of the camera rather than relying on the sensor on the flash itself like an auto flash does. If you make an adjustment on the camera, even zoom, and the FL-36/FL-50 will adjust accordingly including zooming.

I've used auto and manual flashes on film cameras, and now that I've used a TTL flash I wouldn't go back (with the exception of studio strobes which work differently).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:46 AM   #5

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I've used auto and manual flashes on film cameras, and now that I've used a TTL flash I wouldn't go back (with the exception of studio strobes which work differently).
Me too. It's bite the bullet time if you really plan on using it to best advantage (FL-50 is great, but yes, expensive)--on the other hand, if you check out Sunpak I'm sure they have some flashes with safe trigger voltages that can be used with some degree of automation--but check out their specifications to be sure. Doesn't Sunpak have a homepage somewhere?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote