Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1

I have a canon s2 and i want to upgrade to a dslr and i was looking into the e-300 probably the one with the double lens kit cause i need to be able to zoom (one of the reasons i got the s2). the main reason im looking at the e-300 is because i can it and a zoom lens for pretty cheap and money is a big concern, i dont have a whole lot of it to spend. anybody have any thoughts on the e-300 or upgrading from the s2 or just anything they wanna share about these cameras would be great. thanks

Dean
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

badhabbit05 wrote:
Quote:
I have a canon s2 and i want to upgrade to a dslr and i was looking into the e-300 probably the one with the double lens kit cause i need to be able to zoom (one of the reasons i got the s2). the main reason im looking at the e-300 is because i can it and a zoom lens for pretty cheap and money is a big concern, i dont have a whole lot of it to spend. anybody have any thoughts on the e-300 or upgrading from the s2 or just anything they wanna share about these cameras would be great. thanks
I have the e-300 and love it. The 2-lens kit is the best value on the dSLR planet these days. The kit lenses are quite a step above those provided with some other manufacturers entry-level dSLRs. Moving to a dSLR involves some learning curve, tho, in order to get the most from the quality they can produce, so don't be discouraged at first.
As you probably know, the "major" weak point with the Olympus 4/3 system right now is higher noise at high ISOs, but it's overplayed in many reviews, IMO. Your feelings about it will depend a lot on how you want your photos to look, how large you are enlarging the photos, and whether you use a noise reduction program in post production. The ISO 800 and 1600 shots I've taken have cleaned up nicely by using either Neatimage for JPEGs, or using the built-in NR that comes with Silkypix, my RAW developer of choice. There are several other NR programs available and all work pretty well, from what I've heard.

Here is a shot I took at ISO 1600 the other day. The first one is without any NR added:

Olympus e-300 + ED 50-200mm, f2.9 @ 1/200, ISO 1600

The next one was after using Neatimage:

Olympus e-300 + ED 50-200mm, f2.9 @ 1/200, ISO 1600 + Neatimage

(both were reduced to 25% and given a modest level of compression, so this may not be entirely accurate portrayal, since some noise is removed merely by compressing the JPEG). At any rate, I'm satisfied with the results I get. At ISO 100, the e-300s images compare favorably with those from any other camera in the 8MP league.

Also, the camera will probably come without its firmware upgraded, so that's the first thing you want to do. Upgrading the firmware to 1.3 corrects several problems involving the exposure meter and WB, and also makes it possible to take advantage of the blazing speed of the Sandisk Extreme III CF cards. The really unique thing advantage of Oly's 4/3 system is its dust removal and pixel mapping functions.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:39 AM   #3

I love my e300 so much I have two of them to facilitate quick focal changes. I can see no real reason to change to a e500 for the time being, these cameras are the best deal going and can easily out pace any good photographers capabilities. I have only been in the digital world for two months and I am never going back to chrome. In my short time shooting, I have two bodies and six lens... the 50mm 2.0 is your BEST freind!!! These are all done in camera!

Proof:

Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

what about shots taken with ISO 400, do those shots turn out pretty clean? my s2 goes up to 400 but 400 gets grainy. when i have it in just automatic mode it never really sets the ISO past 100. ISO 200 isnt that bad, i use that in manual mode sometimes and it isnt that bad would love to shot with much higher ISO than 100-200. most of my action shots at the moment are of kitten outside in the shade andits hard to get a clean sharp picture in those conditions when the kittens are playing around. how do you think the e-300 would do in these conditions?

Dean
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:46 PM   #5

This is at ISO 400, E-300 40-150 lens.Cropped and re-sized.ISO 400 on the E-300 is very acceptable, much better than any digicam out there (perhaps FZ-10).

Attached Images

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:51 PM   #6

This is @ ISO 1600, straight from JPG with crop and re-sized for posting.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:52 PM   #7

And running it thru NeatImage. If you prefer Canon's ISO 1600 (or KM, Nikon), you can go with them also. ISO 1600 on the E-300 mostly requires running it thru a noise removal program. ISO 800 much less so, and I won't hesitate to use it.
Attached Images