Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:35 PM   #1

Default compact travel companion for E-10 user

Am advanced amature with full E-10 rig and too many Nikon (film)bodies and lenses than I know what to do with. Not much time to do research. Am soliciting suggestions for compact digicam of at least 3MP that preferably will use CF card (like E-10). Cost not really a concern. Am going to Mexico in two weeks and don't want to drag around a lot of weight or worry about xray terrorism of my film.

Thanks Jeff
jshulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:48 AM   #2

I would suggest the Canon G2 or G3, only because those are the ones I've played with and they are quite handy and fun to use. But if you want to go smaller, maybe one of the Canon Elph's? I asume you don't want full manual controls, just a smaller form factor to go around, am I correct?

ps. if you don't know what to do with those Nikkors, I'm accepting donations right now... specially if you have an AF-S laying around :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:44 AM   #3

Alberto, Would like Point and Shoot capability but would prefer a digicam with manual overide, A and S, preferred auto if possible. Canon seems to have many admirers. Know anything about Nikon Coolpix 4500?

By the way, I just made the plunge to Nikkor 28-70 and 80-200 f/2.8 this past year. These are wonderful lenses if a bit large and ntimidating. I am waiting for Nikon to come out with full frame 24x36mm CCD or CMOS body at the D100 price point. This was my thinking when I purchased my E-10. That it would be a first digicam until Nikon came out with the digital body I want at the price I'd be willing to pay. My gues is it will only be two or three years from now.

Jeff
Old Feb 9, 2003, 11:51 PM   #4

Jeff,
I bought an E20 recently, and I kept my CP 950 for times when I want to "travel light." It's only 2 Mp, but it's good enough for what I do. I think the CP 4500 is a good idea. If price is no object, you could even go for the CP 5700 with 8x zoom and 5 Mp. I think you can buy one for under a grand now. It's about the same size as the 4500. The advantage of the CP's is that you get full manual control, A and S priority as well as auto. And Nikon build quality. Mine has been to Antarctica, taking pictures from Zodiacs under wet and freezing conditions. No problems.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:24 AM   #5

Jeff, right now, my E-10 is a compact camera! :lol: You are right, the 28-70 is big and could be intimidating, but the results speak for themselves! Wonderfully sharp and pretty fast on the D100!

Bert, Antarctica? :shock: Didn't the lcd screen freeze over? Or did you go in the summer time there?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:05 PM   #6

Alberto,
Quote:
Bert, Antarctica? Didn't the lcd screen freeze over? Or did you go in the summer time there?
Well, we went last February, which is like August there. It was nice and warm...highs most days below freezing, windy, with frequent fog and rain. We did have a couple really nice days, sunny and "warm"...in the forties, maybe even all the way up to fifty! But always windy...it's the windiest place in the world, I read.

I leave the LCD turned off most of the time. I can't see it very well in bright sun, and it eats the batteries up. I just shoot and shoot! Once in awhile I'll check it if I want to make sure I got a particular shot the way I want it. Anyway, it still works, so the cold did no long-term damage as far as I can tell.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 5:04 PM   #7

Thanks all for your input. Went to my local camera stores this weekend and ended up with Canon Powershot S45. Perfect size and nice heft in the hand. Canon Elph felt uncomfortably small for my hands. Preliminary use at formal charity diner dance that evening look great even before I had a chance to read the manual. Controls, menus etc not as intuitive as Olympus.

Thanks again, Jeff
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Controls, menus etc not as intuitive as Olympus.
My E20 is a much more capable camera than my CP 950, but the E20 is much easier to use! Very intuitive. The menus are much more straightforward. I learned to use it, and was completely comfortable with it in just a few days.