Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

The Olympus E-300 has gotten a lot of flak due to its admitted weakness at high ISOs. Some reviewers went so far as to call it "unusable."
What people may not realize is that much of the issue is exposure dependent. Underexposing will cause much more objectionable noise than proper or slight overexposure. The second issue is finding a NR program you're comfortable with and learning its tricks. Here are a couple of shots at ISO 1600 taken with the Olympus ZD 50mm 2.0 macro (1/60 @ f2.0, custom WB). I put the shots through Neatimage but no other PP. The 50mm macro is a killer portrait lens with very shallow dof at this range.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:01 PM   #2

No quite sure what your intentions are for posting the shots in this paticular forum as it sounds more like a defense on behalf of the camera. It might be better suited in one of the camera categories.

If you are actually wanting critiques of the shots then the first thing I notice is they appear a bit flat. Both could use a different crop.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:51 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i am not sure this is the right place either.. maybe the oly camera forum?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:02 PM   #4

Sorry if they're out of place here :roll:. I thought that this was the spot for discussing "techniques" and I merely meant to point out that shooting at ISO 1600 with the admittedly "high-ISO-challenged" Olympus may require some thought as to technique--both in exposure and pp, as well as how the shots are to be used.

Best wishes,

Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the post, Norm!

It sure helped me.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:34 PM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm...E-Series topic, E-Series camera, E-Series issue, E-Series forum....nope, it's in the right place! :G

This is an important issue for new E-300 & E-500 users (since they use the same CCD) that it is possible to do 1600ISO with their camera, and how to do it.

p.s. My avatar notwithstanding, I'm an E-300 user and have yet to tackle 1600ISO.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:30 PM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm...E-Series topic, E-Series camera, E-Series issue, E-Series forum....nope, it's in the right place! :G
Sorry to everyone about that :sad:. I originally posted this message to another forum of Steve's but it was moved here since considered off topic in the other forum. My bad.

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:13 PM   #8

Norm-

With the info you supplied I was able to get some great shots at ISO 800 with my E-300. Thanks again. Here is a sample. These are as they came from the camera.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:29 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Norm-

With the info you supplied I was able to get some great shots at ISO 800 with my E-300. Thanks again. Here is a sample. These are as they came from the camera.

MT
Not bad for no NR program. As you've shown here, ISO800 and 1600 are perfectly usable for many purposes. Try out one of the several NR programs available and you'll find you can do even more.