Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1

hi

been searching all over wrt E300 as a mate just bought one over a Panasonic FZ5.

me, i play with a Panasonic FZ3.

anyway, my question is : can the E300 only take 4/3 lenses? i've been trying to understand the technology but can't quite wrap my head around it.

thanks in advance,
zed
zedwunare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:29 AM   #2

Yes, if you want autofocusing and all the rest, you must use 4/3 standard lenses; there are currently a bunch made by Olympus and a few made by Sigma. More are expected out next year. Not sure what specifically you're finding difficult to understand about the system. It's certainly simpler than the confusion represented by all the different lens/body combinations put out by certain competitors.

Also, if you really want to use other lenses, either previous Olympus OM or from other manufacturers, you can buy adapters to mount them to the E-300. You have to use them manually, but otherwise they're functional. --and they're not cheap ($175). For the adapters, see:

cameraquest.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:44 AM   #3

thanks for elaborating. the confusion i had was due to seeing reviews such as...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...fourthirds.asp

and then seeing the lens for sale...

http://www.wholesaledigital.co.za/sigma18-125dc.htm

and on the site that it's being sold, they say nothing about FourThirds but the lens looks identical to the one on review..

i've only ever played with SLR cameras in passing so did not realise that each manufacturer seems to make lenses only for their own cameras.

in case of the 18-125 i saw for sale on the wholesaledigital site, i assume if i wanted that for the E300 i would have to ask whether they have stock of the FourThirds model specifically?
zedwunare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:18 AM   #4

zedwunare wrote:
Quote:
in case of the 18-125 i saw for sale on the wholesaledigital site, i assume if i wanted that for the E300 i would have to ask whether they have stock of the FourThirds model specifically?
That's right. FWIW, here in Japan it sells for the equivalent of about U.S. $310.00

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

zedwunare wrote:
Quote:
been searching all over wrt E300 as a mate just bought one over a Panasonic FZ5.

me, i play with a Panasonic FZ3.

anyway, my question is : can the E300 only take 4/3 lenses? i've been trying to understand the technology but can't quite wrap my head around it.
Cameras like the Panasonic Z series have non-removable lenses.

In the SLR world, when you want a different range of focal length, you attach a different lens. Each lens manufacturer has their own type of mount...some have a threaded mount like a screw, while most others (including 4/3) use different types of bayonet mount...all of which are not compatble with other maunfacturers (with a caveat, see below).

Now there can be third party manufacturers who make lenses for the 4/3 system, but you have to make sure to get one with a 4/3 mount. Sigma makes lenses that will fit on to Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc., but you have to make sure that you get the one with the 4/3 mount to put it on a 4/3 camera (and currently Sigma only has three of them). As well, you can't depend on a generic review of these lenses...just because a Sigma lens performs well on a Canon, doesn't mean it will perform well on 4/3. As well, due to the sensor size of 4/3 the focal length will be double (unless the manufacturer has altered the marks of the lens to correspond with 4/3). That 50mm third party lens will be 100mm equivalent on the 4/3 camera.

The caveat I mentioned above is adapters...there are various adapters to allow you to use Olympus OM, Pentax, Nikon, Canon, etc. lenses on the 4/3 body. The only thing is with these lenses you have to manually focus them, and you are only able to use A & M modes (there is no electrical connection between the body and lens when using these adapters so aperture and focus which are normally controlled by the camera won't function. Here's the third-party adapters that are available, http://cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote