Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:43 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I am attracted by the new E500 and thinking an upgrade from my compact camera. I inherited some OM stuff from my uncle which includes a very nice and sharp OM Varimagni anglefinder. Does anybody has experience with E500 (or E300, I guess they are same beast concerning the VF) using those OM viewfinder accessories? Any idea is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

Not sure, but I strongly doubt the OM anglefinder fits the e-300/e-500. There is a dedicated anglefinder for those cameras, however. See the Vari-Magni Right-angle Finder on Olympus' website.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:53 PM   #3

Yes, Norm in Fujino, I understand there is a new model. But it is quite costy at a fraction of E500 and I only read online that it does not fit the E-1. So I seek your opinion / experience see if I can save some bucks keeping the old one. Thanks anyway. :-)

Any more ideas? :idea:
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:48 AM   #4

Take it with you if and when you try out an E500, and see if the coverage is adequate (should be: the OM's viewfinder image rectangle is at least 1.5X the size of the E-1's and I think that the E-500's is even smaller)
and the focussing plane is reasonably close.

Trying it on top of the rubber eyecup of my E-1, there seem to be absolutley no *optical* problems.

Figuring out a way to fasten it, either onto E-series eyepiece bayonet is another matter. If you know a jeweler, goldsmith, optician or machinist, they may have the tools to remove the two funky fasteenrs at the top of the fastening frame bracket. It may...or may not be worth the trouble, in the end (likely only if you do a lot of microscope and mounted close macro work).
fishumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:55 AM   #5

Take it with you if and when you try out an E500, and see if the coverage is adequate (should be: the OM's viewfinder image rectangle is at least 1.5X the size of the E-1's and I think that the E-500's is even smaller)
and the focussing plane is reasonably close.

Trying it on top of the rubber eyecup of my E-1, there seem to be absolutely no *optical* problems.

Figuring out a way to fasten it, either onto E-series eyepiece bayonet or whatever system the E 3 and 500 use is another matter. If you know a jeweler, goldsmith, optician or machinist, they may have the tools to remove the two funky fasteenrs at the top of the fastening frame bracket. It may...or may not be worth the trouble, in the end (likely only if you do a lot of microscope and mounted close macro work).

I do note that the rather pricey Olympus item (guess they have to make money somewhere!) looks fairly similar to the Varimagny, though it seems to be 1x and 2x rather than 1.2x and 2.5x, is shipped with "adapter rings" to allow it to be used with all three E models.
fishumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:04 AM   #6

fis
Quote:
Trying it on top of the rubber eyecup of my E-1, there seem to be absolutley no *optical* problems.
On the DPReview forum someone modified an E1 eyecup to hold the earlier angle viewer. Only thing was that it reverses image. New angle viewer shows correct view.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote