Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

Hi, I have an E-300 and Olympus Studio. I have used the camera control to take photos with only one problem.

When taking night-time long exposure shots using the Manual (M) settings to control the shutter and aperture, the camera tries a focus, but does not take a shot. The popup window says "Taking photographs..." but nothing happens.

Can anyone point me to some useful info on the setup and settings required to take long exposure, night-time shots without flash.

Many thanks in advance,

Narcus2005
narcus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:29 PM   #2

I haven't used Studio, but I think it's the inability of the camera to focus in extreme low light...cameras need light to focus (detect contrasts), or otherwise generate their own via the focus assist (on the E-300 via the internal flash strobing, or with the FL-36/50 via the red light (the strobe itself on the external flash can be disabled on the E-300 by selecting the "No Flash" option but focus assist will still work)).

If you're shooting out of the range of the AF Assist or don't want to otherwise use it, you'll have to disable the autofocus (selecting MF focus mode) and use the ring on the lens to pre-focus your shot before starting to take photos.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:46 PM   #3

Hi,

Many thanks for that. I managed to find a way of setting it to MF and still allowing the manual setting of the shutter & aperture. As you surmised, it was the AF stopping the shot from being taken.

Many thanks again,

Narcus2005

narcus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:44 AM   #4

narcus2005 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks for that. I managed to find a way of setting it to MF and still allowing the manual setting of the shutter & aperture. As you surmised, it was the AF stopping the shot from being taken.
Actually, you can also set the camera to take a picture even if it can't focus. Support for this function (called release priority s/c) was added under firmware upgrade 1.2. You can find out about it RIGHT HERE.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:39 AM   #5

Norm in Fujino wrote: Of course the chances of having an out of focus picture though will be much higher.

With the manual focus mode selected, you don't have to have either release priority activated, and at least you can attempt to get the image close enough to being in focus.

Using the release priority in low light will cause the focus to hunt and then give up, and then the picture will be taken...the question is though where the lens stopped hunting will your image be in focus?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote