Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:24 AM   #1

I finally took the plunge and got an E1..... they are going for 29,000 Baht here in Thailand with the 14-45mm lens

I also got the FL 36 flash for another 8,000 Baht

trying it out at home i found the sharpnes very unsatisfactory... compared to my Fuji S7000... even when in-camera sharpness was set to +3

after updating the olympus Studio (which came free with the pack) to the latest version and then updating the firmware...i could only get good sharpness at +5

is this why Olympus increased the sharpness in their frimware upgrade?

do all of you use the highest setting of +5?

i took the camera back to the shop and they tried another there... looked the same to me...they said it looked Ok.... but I know sharp from not

anyway...i got a different (3rd) body from them and changed the lens to a 14-54mm fro an extra 10,000 baht

definately a better lens.. but i'm still not happy at the sharpness.... i am moving ...so am unable to update my firmware on the new body just yet

anyone else have these problems...???
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:38 AM   #2

fabianfred wrote:
Quote:
trying it out at home i found the sharpnes very unsatisfactory... compared to my Fuji S7000... even when in-camera sharpness was set to +3
. . . Anyone else have these problems...???
First off, the Fuji S7000 is a digicam while the E-1 is a dSlR. As a rule, dSLRs are designed to produce more "neutral" results out of camera due to the manufacturers' assumption that dSLR users are more "advanced" or at least more interested in doing their own post processing. Almost all fixed-lens digicams will have higher saturation and sharpness than dSLRs when comparing out-of-camera shots. Not always, but very frequently. If you want more sharpness, you should probably learn to use a post-processing program like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. I'm also sending you a private message, so check it for more info.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3

Digital SLRs, such as the E-1, are built to a different desgn philosophy to point & shoot cameras, even bridge cameras such as the Fuji S7000. Point and shoot cameras are designed with aggressive levels of sharpening and colour saturation so as to produce punchy images that can be printed straight out of the camera. Digital SLRs are designed on the assumption that the user willpost-process the images in something like Photoshop, so are configured by default to use minimal in-camera processing to produce very neutral results that are more amenable to post-processing.

If you want to print JPEGs straight out of the camera, you'll need to set up the E-1 to sharpness +3 or +5, as you've found. I prefer to leave sharpness at 0, then sharpen in Photoshop as the very last step before printing. Sharpening doesn't actually increase the resolution of the image. It tweaks the contrast at the boundary between objects, making the edges more visible.

Even at +5, I suspect the level of sharpening won't be as pronounced as on the S7000. Most point and shoots have sharpening and colour saturation set very high, producing an obviously digital image. The Olympus E-1 has often been praised in reviews for its more neutral, film-like images.
dewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:42 AM   #4

I use my Fuji S7000 in my studio.... and post process every shot in Photoshop

I don't usually have to adjust the sharpness..... and the in-camera sharpness is only set to normal

last weekend taking photos outdoors of flowers and landscapes with the E1... I could not find any real point of sharp focus on the pictures when looking at them on my computer screen..... shot at 1/500 sec so definately not camera shake.... perhaps the auto-focus needs a lot more care in use than with the Fuji one.

I just wondered why Olympus gave the extra range to the in-camera sharpness in their firmware upgrade.....perhaps they found it was needed??

I must admit to noticeing that with the first body with which i upgraded the firmware, the photos set at +5 did not have the usual appearance of 'over-sharpening' one can get by overdoing things in photoshop etc.
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:56 AM   #5

Hello!

I am using my E-1 entirely for producing RAW files, converting them in PhaseOne CaptureOne LE or Photoshop elements. The jpgs I am getting out of this normally produce quite satifactory results!

If you like to see some examples - unfortunately just in screen resolution - please take a look at my picture in the German Fotocommunity, e.g. at

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/my...isplay/4628375

(short DOF in this pic, but focus zone in the middle)

If you click at my name "Kai-Uwe Och" and scroll down abit to "Meine Fotos" you will find more. I am normally mentioning wether the picture was taken analog or digital with the E-1.

Lenses I am using are the 14-54, 11-22, 50-200 and a OM macro 3.5/50mm, which all produce outstanding results!

ku_och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6

Another nice example:

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/my...isplay/4679138

ku_och is offline   Reply With Quote