Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2003, 4:59 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Olympus 4/3 SLR shown at PMA!

Olympus tells us that it's coming later this year.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol..._43slr_pr.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:59 PM   #2

Digital bit me hard last year when I bought a Nikon 990. I sold off my Nikon film cameras and went Canon because I liked the way Canon Digital was going and coming down faster towards affordabilty. This year I sold the Canon gear because I found I shot the 990 more and I decided to by a E-20 .

To this end I am glad I bought the E-20 which will serve well until the dust settles on the fast developing and changing digital camera market. Right now the 4/3 open standard looks very promising. Olympus and Fuji produce very good optics and kodak's pro digital bodies are well noted. I guess I better start saving for another system.

I do have something for pondering. Remember the Minolta Vectis APS interchangable lenses camera flop. That was based on a small film format. It seems Minolta would get one out of the dust bin and do some adapting to their "7" series to make it accept interchangable lenses and have a optical view finder. I don't have the calculations on hand for the difference between APS and 2/3 CCD size , but it's just a thought.
turp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:37 PM   #3

Default reality closing in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Olympus tells us that it's coming later this year.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol..._43slr_pr.html
Well, I guess it's just a price I'll have to pay, sooner or later. I'm a long time Olympus 35mm user with a ton of Zuiko lenses that I had hung onto in the hopes of Olympus releasing a camera that would make use of them.

With this announcement I see my hope continue to shrink, pushing me closer to the reality that it ain't gonna happen. And, I'll be faced with buying the new system.

Oh well, I guess that's progress...

Joe
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:20 AM   #4
NHL

It's a well know fact that Olympus has already announced to stop making their OM series since last year, and to stop selling all their SLR lenses and accessories this March 03...

Unless they'll find another partner to this 4/3, this is just another re-hash of last year Photokina... they've already stuck their head out with xD, when everyone went with sD/MMC (or stayed with CF)! Two years of announcement is a long time in digicam term... and they might miss their window of opportunity already! It looks like an uphill battle with the release of the Pentax ist D, and the EOS-10D at such a low price. 8) No 'E' product before 2004? ops:

Quote:
Remember the Minolta Vectis APS interchangable lenses camera flop. That was based on a small film format. It seems Minolta would get one out of the dust bin and do some adapting to their "7" series to make it accept interchangable lenses and have a optical view finder. I don't have the calculations on hand for the difference between APS and 2/3 CCD size , but it's just a thought.
Minolta is still licking their wound on this one... (especially the interchangeable APS overpriced 'RD' digital camera series) Most 'pro' already owned N or C brand lenses so it's a very tough market for both Oly and Minolta to break in... I think they will stick with their D7's EVF formula where they have some limited sucess with the mass market instead

... I guess they have tried and learned the "4/3" formula the hard way before! http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...Specifications
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:15 PM   #5

Default You'r e right about the Minolta thing

With a camera that has a zoom range of 28-200 at f2.8-3.5 and some success, they really don't have the market or need. I guess I was looking more at the affordable or prosumer side.

The bottom line is, it will be a few more years before I can go buy a digital camera body and 2 good lenses in the $1500-$2,000 without image loss. The 4/3 standard seems to be headed to this end faster that N or C. The question is, will Fuji & Kodak come up with goods or leave Oly hanging?
turp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:03 PM   #6
NHL

IMO the 4/3 is DOA (Olympus makes plenty of good cameras though):

1. Timing: 2 years ago this might be a hit. With an EOS10D @ $1499 even the D7hi/5700 look expensive let alone an E20. There's no price for the ist_D yet, but Pentax always seems to fill the advanced amateur niche nicely and in 6 months their prices has eroded with even more cameras coming before this '4/3' had a chance to hit the market.

2. Price: 4/3 CCDs are cheaper to build? If one goes by that argument then smaller CCDs cost less still with the corresponding reduction in lenses... Just witness the new crops of smaller 5Mp cameras and their price point. Another 1/2 standard? all incompatible with one another?

3. Competion: The N and C brands can also pop a 4/3 CCD in their existing cameras and use all their existing lenses (or they can also do a 1/2 or an 1/1 CCD) with mininimum development cost, unlike Oly who start from cratch with NO antofocus lenses in their inventory! Let's not forget the Canon bodies can be build cheaper since all the motors are in the lenses...

4. The wildcard: Why would Minolta release two super expensive AF G-series lenses today with no dSLR? :? :? :? They must be crazy!
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:57 PM   #7

Default clueless

Well I just wanted to pop in here and tag this discussion. I too am chomping at the bit to get a 10D but have some pactience. I was interested in the lenses that Olympus anounced with this 4/3 setup. Having drolled over the 10D and looking at what lenses would be needed, I noticed a lot of the 75-200mm were f4 or 5? The it looks like the 4/3 has a f2? Not sure if these we the same price or not. As those numbers drop so does your bank account. Not sure if I know what I am talking about but I do know that my 7i at full zoom on a cloudy day is tough shot.

Well off to look at more lenses. Does Oly make Image Stabalized?
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:31 AM   #8
NHL

Ken E

Well don't forget the D60, they'll be a hard sell next month for $1400 with a 10D coming. There'll be a few and they can't be too 'used' either!
The Sigma Foveon, the Fuji S2, as well as the D100 will all have to meet this price point, or lower, if they lack in performance in order to stay competitive... Just enjoy your D7i there's plenty of time... Ain't it great? 8) 8) 8)

Unless you need it for your job, getting a 10D now will just prevent you from the next greatest in the 2nd half of 03! Hey but we all know that already from the PC world... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
I noticed a lot of the 75-200mm were f4 or 5? The it looks like the 4/3 has a f2? Not sure if these we the same price or not. As those numbers drop so does your bank account. Not sure if I know what I am talking about
I agree with you on the smaller aperture for more light, but it's not the primary benefit. I think most people pay more for this because of the 'defocus' shallow depht of field that pop the subject out from the background that is impossible with lesser lens. BTW with the smaller 4/3 you are also loosing out on this effect just like on any smaller CCD cameras...

FYI http://www.photim.com/Infos/UneInfo.asp?N=825
Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:10 AM   #9

Default price no problem

2k had me debating hard for some time for the D60 since I need everything I was looking at $3.5kk in the long run but not all at once. We see that being cut by $500 so we can all breath easier.

I can deal with prices going down the month after I buy, what I don't want in the capability going UP after I buy. Will the second half bring better cameras or just cheeper, cost and construction?
The firsst impressions from reading on the 10D is that it fixes most of the down sides. Are we saying this meet 90% of everyones goals? I know after using the 7i that I hardly use 7fps. 3 would be acceptable with a large buffer, not sure if 9 frames is enough but do-able.

Got to run...
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:10 PM   #10

Gee...I dont know, folks.

I kina (every pun/mispelling intended) would like to
learn more about it, specifically its:

Quality of Photos
Megapixels
Media used
Power Supply
Features
Ease of Use