Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:18 PM   #11

Mtclimber....

THat would be greatly appreciated, especially since I am leaning toward that lens. Hopefully, you're having fun with it as you help me...

Thanks
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:23 PM   #12

Both the 50mm f2 and 50-200mm f2.8 are excellent lenses, but they're quite different, obviously. The 50mm is of course great for genuine macro; it's also lightweight, so serves well for moving portraits. I usually use manual or auto+manual focus when doing macros, but haven't experienced serious hunting when doing portraits a bit farther away. The 50-200 mm is a quite different lens; much heavier so not quite so suited for lengthy hand-held sessions.

Here's a couple of 50mm shots--first at ISO1600, second at ISO800; they give a bit of idea of the bokeh produced at close portrait range:

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:37 PM   #13

THanks Norm....

There is no easy decision when you have to choose one. Oh well, I'll just have to roll the dice and work on getting the other down the road. Perhaps the 35-100 will come down by then too. Looks like a nice lens. Thatsanother topic though. Thanks for replying!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:52 PM   #14

Alias-

Here is the promised photo. This is the E-300 equipped with the Zukio 50-200mm F 2.8 lens.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:15 PM   #15

Alias-

While I was setting up the E-300 with the 50-200mm lens on the tripod so my husband could take my photo, I took this sample shot. It shows that this lens has a fairly shallow depth of field, especially when zoomed out a bit.

MT
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:53 PM   #16

Mtclimber....thanks again.

Is that you and your husband in the last photo? Kidding

Shallow DOF is good when called on. Especially for portraits. Anyway, after much consideration, I went to b and h photo today and to Adorama with the hopes of purchasing the 50 mm. Wouldnt you know it,both are out of stockfor that lens. The 50-200 is available, and I may still go with that and get the 50 later on. If I do, it will be ordered by tonight as there is a rebate which expires tonight. I certainly appreciate all the help.

Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:45 PM   #17

Alias-

Go to http://www.pricegrabber.com and do a search for the 50mm F 2.0 macro. You will find that Page Computer has them at the BEST price and they are indeed in stock. I have personally used Page myself and they are very reputable.

MT
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:35 PM   #18

Mtclimber.....

Thanks for all the examples. I've currently got a couple of bids on ebay for both lenses. Really don't expect to win on either one but you never know. Taking my time since I missed out on the rebates that were being offered. I do appreciate yours and Norm's help though. I'll let you know if I get one. Thanks.