Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:34 PM   #1

This is as much a general photography question as it is an Olympus question. I'm currently contemplating buying the Oly Digital 50 mm lens for portrait photos. Aside from price and one f/stop, would it be wise to buy the 50 -200 mm lens with f/2.8? In other words, do I lose anything with the second lens other than the one stop? And, is that one stop significant for portraiture?Personally, I'm thinking that for DOF reasons it might be. It would be nice to have the telephoto ability if I don't lose anything else. Thanks for any input anybody can offer here.
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2

Alias-

The 50mm F 2.0 is also a macro lens and it hunts around a lot, and is therefore rather slow to focus. I have the 50-200mm lens enroute to me and it is scheduled for delivery this afternoon.

I will pop it on my E-300 and give you a few sample photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

Much appreciated!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:58 PM   #4

Alias-

Here is a photo Taken with my E-300 equipped with the 50mmprime lens. These are all very informal portraits taken with a flash. In this case of the E-1, the FL-40 flash was used. The E-300 photo utilize the built-in flash.

MT
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:02 PM   #5

Alias-

This is my E-300 with the 50-200mm F 2.8 lens, all the rest remains the same.

MT
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:07 PM   #6

Alias-

This is my E-1 equipped with the 14-54mm F 2.8 lens, which was indeed the "kit" lens for the E-1. The flash used was the Fl-40, because the E-1 does not have a built-in flash.

MT
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:27 PM   #7

Mtclimber

That 50 mm is sharp! Thanks for the examples.In your experience, how does the 50 mm doin moderate to low light without a flash?

Did you use a tripod for the 50-200? Looks a little soft.

THanks again and from what I understand you just recently recieved the 50-200. Let me know how you like it.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:57 PM   #8

Alias-

All shots were hand held, and the 50-200mm is a fairly substantial lens so I could quite well have been wavering around a bit. I apologize for that. The 50mm F 2.0 is a nice lens, and it focuses quite well in reasonable light, however, when faced with a low lighting environment, to be frank, it does tend to hunt.

I apologize for the softness with the 50-200mm sample, I was attempting to hurry to give you some samples.

MT
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:16 PM   #9

Thanks Mtclimber. I thought that might be the case with the 50-200. I'm leaning towards that lens anyway due to it's versatility and the fact that you and others say it has trouble focusing in low light. I appreciate your efforts either way. This is a great site due to people like yourself. I hope to participate further and continue to learn.

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:10 PM   #10

Alias-

Really, we are a friendly group and we will always go "the extra mile" to help other users.

If you prefer I can do a tripod mounted Zukio 50-200mm F 2.8 sample for you. Please just let me know.

MT