Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

I am thinking of buying Olympus E-500 (other choice is Nikon D50)

But can E-500 deliver shalow depth of field as good as as the D50 ?, I saw that it uses a different CCD dimensions.
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2

Depth of field is not a problem with the E series.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:10 PM   #3

Another example. This and the prior example were taken with the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 zoom.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:13 AM   #4

But the CCD is smaller then the D50 for example , does it have any direct connection with the image quality or noise etc. ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:17 PM   #5

If it were substantially smaller, then yes, depth of field would be problematic, but the fact is the difference isn't so great as to make that much of a difference. Look at this article:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/basics/

The sensor used in what's called the "APS" format, that used in Canon and Nikon consumer digital SLR's, is outlined in blue, and is 22mmx15mm. The sensor Olympus uses is 18mmx13, so yes, the physical size is slightly smaller, so depth of field will be slightly wider at any given aperture, but used wide open, Olympus bodies and lenses, as shown above,are quite able to achieve shallow depth of field, especially vs. the biggest sensor used in point & shoot digicams, which is only 7.2mmx5.3, and that's the bigger sensors. Some of the smaller P&S digicams use a sesnor as small as 5.3mmx4mm...pinky size.

As you can see, even the bigger APS-sized sensor is quite small compared to a 35mm piece of film, so none of these formats is big at all, relative to 35mm film- do you see a big difference in the quality ofdigital images vs. anything you've seen shot on film? I don't. If you are coming from a film background that is a way bigger "downgrade" in image area than the 2-4mm difference between the APS and 4/3rd's format.

Regarding sensor noise, up to ISO 400 there's little difference in most any SLRmodel, be it Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc. From ISO 800 on up, there's more of a difference, althoughimages from my E-1 at ISO 800 are perfectly useable, as you can clearly see in this series of images (click on the exif info to see exposure detail):

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...53384863/Large

At ISO 1600 or 3200, neither Nikon or Olympus are as good as Canon, period, and Olympus is clearly the worst of the three due probablyto a combination of bothsensors and processing engines each system uses, but when it comes to this you really need to think about how often you actually want to use these setting. While ISO 1600 is great on a Canon 20D, image quality, shadow detail, etc.,is clearly superior even in that camera at ISO 100-400

Another important thing to consider is your primaryintended print size, if you plan to do a lot of printing. With the APS format a traditional 4x6 print can be made virtually crop free, while a 4/3rd's image needs a bit of horizontal cropping in order to print at 4x6. If, however, you print at home on either 8x10 or 8.5x11 paper (as I do), the image from the 4/3rd's format rquires far less cropping vs. the APS format.

Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:38 AM   #6

I have just got an E-500, and am a novice, (it's my first SLR). I was pleased with the results of these... I think the depth shows quite well...

I was pleased with them anyhoohow!
Toff_the_Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote