Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:49 AM   #1

Does anyone know of the best Wide Angle lens to buy for the Evolt?

thanks in advance:!:
br0ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:55 AM   #2

br0ke wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know of the best Wide Angle lens to buy for the Evolt?

thanks in advance:!:
Your choices are limited basically to three:
1. 8mm fisheye
2. 7-14mm
3. 11-22mm

None of them are cheap, but they are all excellent; which one you want depends on what kind of shots you want to take, how much distortion you want/don't want, etc. You can see them HERE

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:30 PM   #3

I also am a newby who purchased the E-500 2 lens kit and am looking for insight regarding Zuiko wide angle lenses. Specifically what would I gainby purchasingthe Zuiko 11-22mm compared to the 14-45mm supplied with the kit. I understand that the field of view would be greater, but would the difference be that much, say at 15 or 20 feet?
mbarry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:48 PM   #4

mbarry1,

In a word, yes.

What you'd gain with the 11-22 over the 14-45 is distortion control at any distance, a much wider view and superior construction.

The 14-45 is a consumer, lower priced lens that is very good for what it is, but what it lacks is distortion control- at 14mm distortion is very high. The 11-22 has very little to no distortion at 11mm. Check them both out here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2835/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm

The 11-22 is constructed with gaskets and is dust/drip resistant, so you can shoot it in bad weatherconditions without fear of ruining it. The 14-45 is strictly consumer all the way.

11mm vs. 14mm is quite a difference. That's like comparing a 22mm super-wide angle vs. a 28mm wide angle in 35mm terms. I've owned a 28mm Nikkor and a 21mm Leica. Believe me, the 21 or 22mm lens is way wider than a 28mm lens.

Now, for Mr. Br0ke,

That is what you very well could be if you bought the 7-14! It goes, at best, for around $1,650, BUT, we're talking about a rectilinear (fully corrected) super wide-angle zoom that goes from (35mm equivalent) 14-28mm. That is huge. I myself am contemplating it's purchase over the next couple of weeks. I'll have to stretch it a little to be able to get one, but in the long run I think it is well worth the purchase price. It's unique- NO one else has a lens like this.

The 11-22 is an extremely nice lens, but I already own the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 and that's just too much overlap for me. If I had the much lower priced14-45 as I discussed above, it would be a no-brainer.

The 8mm fisheye is intriguing. I could get it (supposedly it's going to be around $600US), meaning if I passed on the 7-14 zoomI could buy either an E-500 as a second body to my E-1 or even wait a few more weeks and get an E-330. I am still considering this lens. The problem is the 8mm isn't here yet, but I am told the first shipments are already on their way here to the states.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Well....I made my mind up yesterday.

Went to the local Olympus candy store and tried the 7-14...

You just can't appreciate how wide that lens really is. At one point I took the camera down to see where the items were I was seeing at 7mm on the far edges. The objects on either side were, literally, just barely in front of me on either side, with very minimal distortion. You really almost need a bubble level in the viewfinder to be able to use this lens. At the very minimum I will now be installing that grid screen I bought, but was too afraid to install myself well, I'll take it into the store and let them do it for me!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

Congrats on the 7-14. I don't see how I can possibly afford it at present, which makes me want to try out the 8mm FE, which I probably could afford on a stretch. I really need to take my camera into Shinjuku and try out one at Yodobashi just to see what I'm missing.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7

The salesman looked on his spec sheet. Jim hadn't yet posted a price on the 8mm as it hadn't yet arrived here(Arlington Camera), but I was just so impressed with the 7-14 view and distortion correction for such a wide lens. I will say, it is one BIG lens and heavy,with one awe-inspiring front element and equally impressive (and heavy for what it is)front lens cap. That front element is the only thing that scares the heck outta me, but after using it I don't think I'd be happy with anything else. This is one of those few times in my life I am fortunate enough to be in a position to afford such a lens and I don't want to look back 6 months later and regret not getting it, which I would.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:31 PM   #8

Greg, the info you gave me seems to have been right on and has been repeated to me several times as I continued my research on the 11-22 vs the 14-45. I have gone ahead and purchased the 11-22 and expect to have it in hand this week. While I was at I also purchased the 50-200 tele zoom and 1.4X tele converter which is why I couldn,t afford the 7-14. Oh well, life is just a procession of compromises. Anyway thanks for the assist.
mbarry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:45 PM   #9

Now you're even better off than me, with first class main lenses and good quality backups!

The 11-22 should be a really fun lens- great for someone wanting a more wide normal zoom. Every image I've seen taken with it is just beautiful. Be careful at 11mm to be sure you're level. It's a reallywide view.

The 50-200 is a spectacular lens that focuses pretty darn close for what type lens it is. I love shooting near the close focus distance and use the shallow depth of field like here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...53138302/Large

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...52852593/Large

With the 1.4 converteryou'll be able to get some great shots without doing a lot of cropping like I did here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...52736751/Large

and the cropped image here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...52739368/Large
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:24 PM   #10

Well, I picked up my 7-14 today. All I can say is "WOW". I thought the 14-54 and 50-200 Zuiko's were well built, and they are. This lens is just on a wholedifferent plane, as it should be I guess,for what it cost! Here's a small introductory into this lens I posted on another site:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17201689