Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

I am in the process of buying an Olympus E-500. A large part of my photography is ringside at boxing bouts. No flashes allowed. I'd appreciate recommendations from anyone for the best lens to begin with for this situation. I have had Canon cameras in the past, and am not up on the potentials of the Olympus lens'. Thanks for all/any help.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:27 PM   #2

You're not going to want to hear this, but probably best lenses will cost 2-5x what the camera body cost. Also, some of this depends on how close your seats are to the ring. Can you use a monopod/tripod?
I'm assuming you already have the 40-150 kit lens--but that's f4.5 at the long end, so not very bright. Still usable if you're on a budget. Going up in price we have:

ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5: about US$800 --my personal recommendation; very sharp and quite usable depending on the lighting; boxing moves fast, so stopping action is going to be difficult.

ED 150mm F2.0 $2220

ED 35-100 f2.0: about US $2499

In any event you'll probably be shooting at ISO 800/1600, so you should have a good NR program as well (Neatimage, Noise Ninja, Noiseware).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:37 PM   #3

At ringside you should be in close for many shots. The ultimate in flexibility would be the 50-200 f2.8-3.5, but most of the range will probably, realistically, be too long for someone at ringside. The best in terms of speed up close would be the 50mm f2. The huge focus range shouldn't be a problem and the focal length should be fine for what you're doing. It's one darn sharp lens.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:46 AM   #4

Greetings:

The 50-200 lens will be too long, you are better off getting the 35-100 F2.0 lens.

Yes a bit more expensive but, it is super sharp and super fast in both aperture and focus.

Good luck
lamb010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:30 PM   #5

I'm a long time follower of this website, but this was my first post. Thanks for all the quick help and expertise. I'll let you know what I end up with and post a few pictures. Your advise is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:41 AM   #6

I'm starting to get the hang of things, thanks to guys like Norm,Greg, and lamb. Still a long way to go!
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:14 PM   #7

After reading a lot of posts, I decided to buy a used 14-54 lens. The extra stop seems to help out. The post-production editing of the pictures gets to be a bit tedious, but I guess that I'm not telling you anything that you don't know already! Suggestions always welcome.
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:41 AM   #8

Two more items you will want to add to your list.
(1) A UV Filter on your lens, Your lens will get spattered.
(2) A very dark or black shirt, You too will get spattered and the dark shirt will hide the blood.

Oh yes, pick up a can of foaming lens cleaner and a eye glass cleaning rag from you local Sunglass store. You will be cleaning your Filter between rounds.
Trust me on this one.

Paul
lamb010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:37 PM   #9

I have everything except the lens cleaner, thanks for the reminder! Also have a large bottle of Softsoap Hand Gel in my bag. You can use all the disinfectant that you can get your hands on.