Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

http://dpnow.com/2417.html

A great photo site.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:10 PM   #2

I can't trust a review that makes such a basic mistake in saying the E-500 has a "conventional pentaprism". Most of the cameras in this price class DON'T have pentaprisms, the E-500 included.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:09 AM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I can't trust a review that makes such a basic mistake in saying the E-500 has a "conventional pentaprism". Most of the cameras in this price class DON'T have pentaprisms, the E-500 included.
There won't be many left to trust if you insist on that degree of accuracy in reporting. Just about all the online reviews call it a "pentaprism viewfinder" or "pentaprism type viewfinder." It's the rare stickler for details that calls it a "pentamirror." Even Steve's review here says "The E-500 marks Olympus' return to a traditional SLR body design with pentaprism on top. . ."

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:57 AM   #4

Then again, I take most reviews with a pound of salt.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:01 AM   #5

Why do you let someone's choice of words roadblock your thought process?

What do you think of the E330, is it really 'revolutionary'?

Comments please. Need other viewpoints.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:27 AM   #6

If I hadthe olderE-300 today, I'd be more inclined to spend that type money on a lens upgrade rather than a body upgrade. I myself only (!)have an E-1 right now and today I'm spending what money I have available (for many months to come!) for photography upgrades onthe 7-14 zoom to round out my lens system. If I were to get a paying job in the next several weeks/months I'd likely spend part of that money on a second body. In all liklihood that second body would be an E-330.

The ONE area I see the new technology as being beneficial for my type shooting is in the macro area. Being able to lock the mirror up yet still be able to compose the scene and see what's happening through the moment of exposureis agreat thing. It also appears the sensor's noise properties are improved. We'll just need to wait on all the official tests to start hitting the market to verify those claims.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Being able to lock the mirror up yet still be able to compose the scene and see what's happening through the moment of exposureis agreat thing.

Would that it were so--remember that in macro live view (B), the mirror is locked up until you press the shutter; then it flips down again, then up again and the shutter opens. That makes the process rather long (about 1 second). I didn't find it excessively long for most still-life type macro work, but if you were shooting a fast-moving insect, for example, you'd probably want to stick with mode (A).

I was at the Olympus roll-out for the E-330 in Tokyo last weekend and got to shoot with it a while--they only let us take home one shot, however, on a 16MB xD card they gave us. If you want to see the full story, I've done a writeup about my Day at Olympus Headquarters with the e-330. Quite a few photographs, only one from the E-330, however.

Giving away mobile telephones for "0 yen" in exchange for a telephone service contract (west Shinjuku, Tokyo)

E-300 + 14-54mm, ISO 800

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Why do you let someone's choice of words roadblock your thought process?
I assume that's directed to me...if a reviewer can't get a simple basic fact correct, how can I trust their other facts? Maybe it's because I was a reviewer at one time that I have this attitude.

When I went shopping I let the pictures do the talking in the reviews...not only the samples but also shots of controls, and menus. I also had a quick glimpse into the forums to see what the average person who owned the camera said...things like are they complaining about the noise of images.

I certainly didn't read a reviewer's conclusion about the camera...what can this person who most of the time uses a Canon or Nikon, know about Olympus; they compare it to their Canon or Nikon, like saying the Nikon has an instant start up time, while you have to wait a gruelling two seconds for the Olympus to do it's dust buster routine. For Olympus conclusions I went to someone who only uses Olympus cameras to get a knowledgeable conclusion.

There are needs for sites like Steve's Digicams...but just don't take any review as gospel, and read many from different sources. For Olympus E-system insights I recommend http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:11 PM   #9

It is not the conclusions I'm asking about.

What do YOU think of the E330????

Regards, Nicholas
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:23 PM   #10

I posted very good links in my post take a look HERE
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote