Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #11

I had some of these same problems...until I remembered to remove the CF card from the camera!

Tom
tbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:51 PM   #12

tbower wrote:
Quote:
I had some of these same problems...until I remembered to remove the CF card from the camera!

Tom

Well, I took out the memory card, and it didn't return the error, so maybe that's just another thing that needs to be done. I'm dissapointed totally in olympus's tech support. They never responded to 3 emails.

oh well, i still like the camera.
tx2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:55 PM   #13

tx2654 wrote:
Quote:
tbower wrote:
Quote:

Tom
Quote:

Well, I took out the memory card, and it didn't return the error, so maybe that's just another thing that needs to be done. I'm dissapointed totally in olympus's tech support. They never responded to 3 emails.

oh well, i still like the camera.
Quote:
I just received my E-500 today...and everything is great....except....I also cannot upgrade to the latest firmware. I was able to upgrade Master to 1.41 ok...but when I very carefully went to upgrade the camera I kept getting "camera not detected" error messages.
Quote:
I have a total of 8 USB ports....6 of which have devices connected and working...and I tried all 8 with no luck. I took the lens off....took the memory card out....did everything that was mentioned in this thread. No luck. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
Quote:
Other than this little glitch...the camera is awesome...it feels great in my hands...the pics have been outstanding so far! Now...if I can only get the camera and lens upgraded...............
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:58 AM   #14

There is a certain procedure that has to be followed pretty closely; just a suggestion, but you might check the official site for instructions.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:24 AM   #15

Norm,

Thanks good man! I thought I was following the procedure correctly...turns out I was not! I got the camera updated in good shape...but the update check shows nothing available for the lens.

Is that what everyone else is getting? I could have sworn I read somewhere there was an update for the lens. But then again...I thought I was following the instructions too! hahaha.

I think I will shut up and go take some pictures..and not press my luck!

Thanks again Norm!!!

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:47 AM   #16

Glad you got it sorted out. I think the firmware updates are listed on the site I quoted. You can check out the firmware for your camera and mounted len (and flash) from the menu; on the E-300 it's the last item in the last menu.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 AM   #17

I bought an E-500 just before Christmas and still haven't been able to upgrade the firmware! I even had Tech support walk through it 3 times now and they just say "we don't understand what the problem is." I've tried it with the CF card in and out ; lenses on and off; firewall and virus scanner on and off and nothing works!!! :sad:

I like the camera but you would think they could come up with a better way to upgrade the firmware. I wouldn't recomend anyone to purchase an Olympus until these problems are solved.
seaminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:31 AM   #18

Doesn't sound good. It actually works very well once you get the hang of it. I have just tested my e-300:

1. Make sure the camera is switched off. Leave the CF card in the camera. Mount the lens you want to update on the camera.
2. Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable. Use a USB port on the computer (not a USB-hub connected to the computer)
3. Start Master
4. Click on menu item "Online_Service" and choose "update Camera" in the sub-menu
5. Switch the camera on
6. Check the LCD display on the camera: the menu already shows "Storage", which is what we want (don't choose "Control"), so press OK
7. In Master you see a long to-do list: Ignore it and click OK with the mouse
8. Master should now have found out that you have an e-300 and tell you which lens is used
9. Click the item just underneath the first table: Check for latest version"
10. Test your other lenses

If it says that it can't detect the camera, update Master at Olympus.

Please let us know how this worked as you are hardly the last person to have problems with updating. And, no, you are not the first either!

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:27 PM   #19

Hi everybody!

This is my first post ever on this very helpful forum (I only joined over a week ago :lol.

Two weeks ago, I bought the E-500 kit. When updating the firmware, at first I got the message that the server couldn't be found. :? I then updated Olympus Master; then I upgraded the firmware. It worked just fine. I think it was updating Olympus Master that helped?

it does seem strange to upgrade firmware in only this way. I wouldn't even be using Olympus Master otherwise, as I have iPhoto, Photoshop CS2, etc for my other needs...

I haven't had much time to experiment with my camera due to other projects going at the moment, but I look forward to testing it out, and learning more from this forum. :|

pmb
pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:48 PM   #20

It would seem simpler to upgrade via the CF card. However, there is a good reason for why an upgrade via USB is safer than via a memory card, but I can't remember why.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote