Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:08 PM   #21

I finally got an answer from Olympus. :idea:

"We were able to duplicate the problem on one of our Windows XP machines yesterday and have established that it is an operating system problem and not a problem with our network. Disabling McAffee and the Windows firewall did not alleviate the problem. It appears to be a security issue but we have yet to determine what security is creating the error. Interestingly, we had no problem with a Mac Powerbook."

I don't use McAffee or the Windows firewall. At least they finally admit that there is a problem (that only took 5 months of me complaining). Hopefully they can come out with a fix in less that 5 more months.

I'll keep you posted as I find things out from Olympus.
seaminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:02 AM   #22

Seaminer, what happens when you follow the steps I listed above?

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:01 AM   #23

It sees the camera and shows the update that I need just fine. The download starts and loads 30%-35% then stalls for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, then a message box pops up and says "no connection to server". Then everything shuts off and you have to start the upgrade camera all over again.

It doesn't seem to matter wich application I use either; Olympus Viewer or Olympus Master.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:55 AM   #24

In other words, the network times out for some reason.

Hope tech support finds an answer for you soon.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:12 PM   #25

That is exactly what's happening. The network is timing out and they just were able to duplicate the problem last week.
Old May 18, 2006, 2:32 AM   #26

I am not on the tech support line for the E-1 Series cameras. However, I would make sure that you have upgraded your olympus master software to version 1.41 before proceeding. Then you would in turn detach your lens and attempt the update. You may have to try and peform the update on an UNNETWORKED computer if available. I hope we are able to get this problem resovled.
OlympusTSrep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:04 AM   #27

Thanks for the concern. Yep I upgraded to 1.41 and did everything else you suggested, all to no avail. :sad:

I did get a response from Olympus yesterday. They duplicated the problem using Adobe Photo and Photoshop. They said that they install their own downloader and it interferes with the Olympus downloader program. I don't have either one of those programs but it's probably some other one causing the downloader to stop. Now obviously, I have to find out which one it is and what it's name is, to turn it off.

I'll post when I figure it out, unless anyone has suggestions of downloader programs to look for.
Old May 19, 2006, 12:31 AM   #28

Since a lot of people seems to have problems upgrading their software: why don't Olympus offer alterantive ways of upgrading? If an upgrade could be downloaded separately, received by email, CD or whatever, all these firewall problems, internet problems etc. would be avoided.

Old May 19, 2006, 3:20 PM   #29

Just for those of you who have been unable to update firmware for the kit lenses (14-45or 17.5-45 depending on kit type) don't worry. There have been no firmware updates forthose two lenses at all sinceday one. You can confirm this simply by visiting the Oly website and following the link from 'Firmware Updates', where you'll see a list of thelenses for which updates are available. The kit lenses aren't listed.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:20 PM   #30

i had the same problem with upgrading my olympus master and i found the solution

i turn off my windows firewall- antivirus and internet worm protection and then finaly works
sosat is offline   Reply With Quote