Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:54 AM   #1

All my images aren't sharp enough. All do have a soft tone. All sharpness settings are +2. Camera has been already to the customer-service but no improvements. See attachment. I am using tripod too.

No crisp photo's with both kitlenses. Are there other people with that same problem?

Are there remedies?
Attached Images

h-wijnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:50 AM   #2

Looking through images thaken with the E-series line including the E-300 and the E-500, its look like it diesn;t deliver the same sharpness that for example the Nikon D50 provides. I was leaning towards the E-330 also, cause I think it is a great camera with many features and great image quality, but then, the sharpness of the D50 was still by far much better.

If you use an unsharp mask in photoshop you can give it more sharpness and correct this without damaging the details of the image.

I am interested to know how your E-500 handles low light, and what about the noise in High ISO, is it that bad ??

BTW: the photo that your published (croped one) doesn't look good at all considering the softness, can you publish your exif for me please ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3

Hi Idan,

Copy the image to your PC and open the picture from there. The exif is included so click on file-info. I have taken that image with Nikon 70 and Nikon lens. Really sharp.

Maybe Olympus shouls update the software for the body and fot the lenses.

Above iso 400 the noise will become noticible indeed.

Harry.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4

I've noticed that the pictures are a little soft when viewing an 8MP pic at 100%. This is with the 14-45 kit lens and shooting at SHQ. I'd guess that most entry level SLRs are a little soft when using kit lenses. Can someone confirm?
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5

MOG_22 wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed that the pictures are a little soft when viewing an 8MP pic at 100%. This is with the 14-45 kit lens and shooting at SHQ. I'd guess that most entry level SLRs are a little soft when using kit lenses. Can someone confirm?
I don't have the kit lenses, but I've seen tests that do show the kits are somewhat softer than the better class of lenses. But that's true of all the intro models of dSLR. Most dSLR bodies are also designed to give softer (more neutral) results out-of-camera compared to P&S cameras, since the makers assume that dSLR owners are more advanced and want more control. If you want more sharpness, all you have to do is use a touch of USM in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.

It could be you got a lemon (body), but I doubt it if you've already sent it back once. It's more likely that your lenses are a bit soft, and you haven't tried using USM in post production.
To compare the lenses you might get your hands on a 50mm f2.0 macro or the ED 50-200mm and try them, otherwise--and if you're not in to doing post-production--try a different camera brand until you find something that you're happy with.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:20 PM   #6

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Most dSLR bodies are also designed to give softer (more neutral) results out-of-camera compared to P&S cameras, since the makers assume that dSLR owners are more advanced and want more control. If you want more sharpness, all you have to do is use a touch of USM in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.

It could be you got a lemon (body), but I doubt it if you've already sent it back once. It's more likely that your lenses are a bit soft, and you haven't tried using USM in post production.
To compare the lenses you might get your hands on a 50mm f2.0 macro or the ED 50-200mm and try them, otherwise--and if you're not in to doing post-production--try a different camera brand until you find something that you're happy with.

Of course I have tried USM and images are looking sharper but last year I made more than 5000 pictures most in gardens and often as macros. I don't like to repair each photo I only like to arrange some of them with paint shop pro.

First the E-500 was set in the neutral sharping position but those pictures all looked as out of focus.I have bought this camera because the handling is OK, at least for my hands compared to the Canon 350D, and most reviews were very satisfied with the image quality. My reseller don't want me to give the camera back. So I hope to come to an arrangement with Olympus for new and or better lenses.

I still hope someone has a good solution.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:40 PM   #7

Here's your "soft" wall. Obviously, it was a very small file to work with off this site, but it looks better here than above. The levels, which looked to not have been touched at all,were way short of the right-hand side of the graph, hence the dark, flat look.Had you dialed in another 1/2 to 3/4 stop of lightat the time of exposure it would have been a little better up front, but the levels command can work wonders. Moving the slider over to the end of the histogramwas all it took to bring the light up to good "levels". Then added USM- Amount- 250, Radius- 0.3.

Photoshop (CS2 or Elements, doesn't matter with these verybasic adjustments)....levels...live it. Learn it. The camerawill produce sharp images. You just need to know what to do with the files it produces. That is true whether you're talking an E-500, E-330 OR Nikon D50. More cameras get statements from users like "soft" because little to no attempt to finish the images are being made. JPEGS from digital SLR's are not finished images- some details may be harder to correct once certain values are locked in, but not what I did here.These adjustments Imade took about 3 minutes, with maybe2 of those being taken in the process ofdownloading the image and opening it up in Photoshop.

BELIEVE me, you want the images softer than sharper out of a DSLR, but you then have to get it right in post processing. If you're not prepared to do what it takes, be prepared to expect the same results you're getting now, no matter the brand DSLR you choose, it really is that simple.If you need sharp out of the camera, you need a digicam instead.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:36 PM   #8

Here it is with slightly less USM added. Amount is 175 instead of 250. USM is a matter of taste, but the levels adjustment is the same in both cases.
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:39 AM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
You just need to know what to do with the files it produces. That is true whether you're talking an E-500, E-330 OR Nikon D50. More cameras get statements from users like "soft" because little to no attempt to finish the images are being made. JPEGS from digital SLR's are not finished images- some details may be harder to correct once certain values are locked in, but not what I did here.These adjustments Imade took about 3 minutes, with maybe2 of those being taken in the process ofdownloading the image and opening it up in Photoshop.

BELIEVE me, you want the images softer than sharper out of a DSLR, but you then have to get it right in post processing. If you're not prepared to do what it takes, be prepared to expect the same results you're getting now, no matter the brand DSLR you choose, it really is that simple.If you need sharp out of the camera, you need a digicam instead.
Yes, I always feel strange if I get an out-of-camera shot that doesn't immediately tell me it needs something. Makes me think my own vision is lacking. Photography is about creating images. If one wants the camera to do everything and get good snapshots, then a medium-to-high-level digicam is far preferable.
But when somebody knows what they're doing with a dSLR and pp, wow, a world of difference. Here are some from the E-1. (Not mine)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:32 AM   #10

I need some help here:

I found 2 ad for E-500, 1 from Costco :

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&browse=

and 1 from circuitcity :

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...;cm_keycode=67

The price at Costco is $50 cheaper but i regconized one detail diferent, it is=> the cosco lens is 15.5-45mm (dont tell the lens name), the circuitcity is 14-45 mm (zuiko lens)...Anyone can tell me the diferent of these 2 lens ...plz....
AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote