Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:31 AM   #1

here's the link to the info on the lens:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_6577.html

A pic of the new Panasonic DMC-L1 4/3 cam:

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:47 AM   #2

It will be interesting to know, whether that Oly cameras can use the Leica lenses - with image stabilisation, of course.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3

More info annd specs on dpreview and dcresource:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...mcl1.asp#specs

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3274

I;d be suprised if you couldn;t use the lens with any of the E1's but they may need a firmware upgrade but I'd assume that the E330 would be able to use the IS as the two cam's share core tech inside.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:49 PM   #4

People have HEARD that the Leica lens will work with Oly bodies (and vice versa), but it will only have OIS Mode I available (not mode II).

Also, wonder what the aperture ring on the Leica lens will mean for aperture control on the Oly, do you control it by the ring, or by the body. Also, how will that control be handled on the Panasonic body...will it recognize that it's an aperture ring-less lens and allow control via the buttons?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:56 PM   #5

does the oly e300 kit lens (14-45) have OIS?
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:25 PM   #6

The Leica lens will work on the Oly. Leica has built the lens to the Four-Thirds standard. The four-thirds standard requires interchangeability within all Four-Thirds cameras. For all practical purposes, this new Panasonic DMC-L1 is a sister to the Oly E-330.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...ympuspanas.asp
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:09 AM   #7

As a side note, one of the things this camera points out to me is how Olympus could have avoided the misstep they made with the E-300. Personally, I'm not "offended" by its look; however, I think everyone is aware that the design was not well-received and sales suffered because of it. Olympus could have easily given the E-300 the rangefinder look of the L1. I'm not a "style over substance" guy, but I believe that would have made a big difference in the popularity of the camera.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:33 AM   #8

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
does the oly e300 kit lens (14-45) have OIS?
No.

Olympus doesn't own any optical image stabilization technology. What you saw on previous Olympus cameras was actually Canon's technology.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:48 AM   #9

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
As a side note, one of the things this camera points out to me is how Olympus could have avoided the misstep they made with the E-300. Personally, I'm not "offended" by its look; however, I think everyone is aware that the design was not well-received and sales suffered because of it. Olympus could have easily given the E-300 the rangefinder look of the L1. I'm not a "style over substance" guy, but I believe that would have made a big difference in the popularity of the camera.
Actually, (as an E-300 user) I don't like the way the L1 looks like. To me the L1 is ugly! It just looks CHEAP from the front. The only think I like the look of is the shutter speed area. I like the fact it has the switches to change things (although E-1 users will be saying something negative about that, regarding bumping switches accidently), and I love the fact that there's two extra function buttons (which I assume you can assign almost any function to them.

I'll stick with my (less than ugly) E-300, and if something happened to that I'll get the E-330.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:47 PM   #10

I don't mind the fact that the E-300 didn't go over well. Otherwise, I don't think I could have bought one with the kit lens for $474. To me, the camera looks better in person than in a photograph; but I'll admit I like the design of the L1 much better.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote