Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:06 AM   #1

Has anyone out there tried the ME-1 eyecup on the E-500 ?

I have just bought one (£39)

Olympus claim that it magnifies by 1.2x , and makes it easier to focus and confirm composition.

I can see no difference at all between it and the standard eyecup, except that it lets more light in the side because the rubber does not fit so well as the standard one.

The small shop I ordered it from agree that it just does nothing but can`t take it back because their supplier wont take it back (being a special order from olympus), and Olympus Customer support, just dont want to know !!!

My advice DONT BUY ONE :sad:
SteveInsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:00 PM   #2

Don't tell that to the people who are happy about it...one E-500 user who reviewed it on Amazon gave it five stars.

I'm just waiting for it to come in to the local store. With the small viewfinder on these cameras, every little bit helps.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:54 AM   #3

Believe me, I cant see that it makes any difference !

But if you still want one please try it first before you purchase, that way
you may not make the same mistake as I did !!!

Re the Amazon review
"If you believe everything you read better not read" (japanese proverb)

Just a minute wasnt Olympus Japa........

SteveInsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:06 AM   #4

Does that include reading what YOU have posted?

No offence, but if the first message you ever posted here is a complaint about something you've bought saying, "DON'T BUY ONE", without a previous posting reputation people don't know if you're a troll or not.

Of course I'd try it first (unless I end up getting it by mail in which case I'd make sure the store has a good return policy).
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:41 AM   #5

What does it matter whether it is a first post or not? Calling someone a Troll? How friendly? You the forum watchdog?

This was a post of someone's experience and it happened to be negative so that makes it not good on their part.

What if there was a glowing review of it instead? Would you have posted the same way?

I think not!

Just not what you wanted to read so you go and basically attack a poster's integrity.

Shame on you whether you think you are the voice of the community or not.

I would apologize if I were you.

What do I know? I just find it bad manners to call someone a troll.

I guess your rules are to post something wonderful first before informingE-500 usersofone's findings that are not positive.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:16 PM   #6

I agree. I find most "Trolls" are the ones that Brag about something or some company. Not some one that gives a Negitive review.

I for one am glad he posted what he did. I was looking at ordering the eyecup. I will now wait until I can try one some where before I get it. For
SteveInsell it was not a good option. Maybe for me it will be. But at least I know not to order it with out trying it out first. Or at least find a store that has a good return policy if I do order with out trying first.

Thanks SteveInsell for your review.

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
What does it matter whether it is a first post or not? Calling someone a Troll? How friendly? You the forum watchdog?

This was a post of someone's experience and it happened to be negative so that makes it not good on their part.

What if there was a glowing review of it instead? Would you have posted the same way?

I think not!

Just not what you wanted to read so you go and basically attack a poster's integrity.

Shame on you whether you think you are the voice of the community or not.

I would apologize if I were you.

What do I know? I just find it bad manners to call someone a troll.

I guess your rules are to post something wonderful first before informingE-500 usersofone's findings that are not positive.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:37 AM   #7

I never called anyone anyone in this thread a troll!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:36 AM   #8

I have not posted much on this forum, so at the risk of being called a Troll,
I have the ME-1 Eye Cup installed on my EV 500, and because I paid almost $40.00 for something that looks like it should only cost 40 cents at most, I pretend that it magnifies 1.2 and works as advertised, even though I can't see any difference between it and the Eye Cup that came with the Camera.
DarrellG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:16 AM   #9

Hi Steve,

Sorry you've had a bad experience. I'm blind as a bat, and am willing to try one, would you sell it to me at all?

:O
dochog is offline   Reply With Quote