Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:50 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but am hoping someone can give an opinion. I really like the E500 and am close to buying one but have a couple of issues -

I understand it only has USB 1.1: has anyone found this to be a problem?

Does the 4/3 lens mount issue really mean there is a lack of lens choice? If so, will it continue?

Thanks.
zendik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:22 PM   #2

As far as the USB 1.1 Question, I don't find it a problem at all as I use a Memory card reader that is USB 2.0. I have an Internal one in my computer and I keep a portable one in my camera bag.

As far a Lenses go, I have been more than happy with the two kit lenses.

I think there will be more and more lenses for 4/3's. Just read that Sigma was releasing 5 more lenses soon. Then there are the Panasonic Lenses and all the Olympus lenses. I might buy one or two more lenses in the future, just not sure what I should get.

zendik wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but am hoping someone can give an opinion. I really like the E500 and am close to buying one but have a couple of issues -

I understand it only has USB 1.1: has anyone found this to be a problem to be a problem?

Does the 4/3 lens mount issue really mean there is a lack of lens choice? If so, will it continue?

Thanks.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3

I recently purchased an E-500 2 lens kit. I am very happy with it. The controls and ergonomics of the camera are very nice. The picture quality is great, much better than my ability.

I don't really have an issue with the USB speed, but I would get a card reader if I was transferring large numbers of files and/or RAW files.

Although there is not the same selection of Nikon of Canon, there is still a pretty good selection of lenses. Look at http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/for a list of available lenses.

The kit lenses will hopefully keep me satisfied for the time being.
Larry Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:33 PM   #4

Well my E500 is packed up and ready to go back to the camera store where purchased. It has not given me one good picture. I can take a picture in bright sunlight of the neighbor's house across the street and it's not a nice sharp picture. I get better pictures from my old C4000 Olympus point and shoot!

The sports mode doesn't do what it says. It will not stop sports action such as during a basketball game or winterguard flag routine! So if you have kids in sports ... unless you are in bright full sunlight ... it won't work. I tried to use shutter priority at 1/200 or 1/250 in a brightly lit gym ... it gave me no picture at all with either of the lenses that came in their own kit! The camera shop says it just won't give me what I want. I have a "musical" kid and concerts and marching band doesn't give me a chance at all for a good picture. The camera gurus are telling me ... it's not the camera's fault it's not built for that. It was giving me Shutter speeds of 1/13 and nothing higher than 1/125th. So don't count "indoor sports" as "Sports".

I'm not trying to take professional shots, but did expect to get a focusedarea in the picture! I could get that out of my old film 35mm most of the time. I just want that convenience of shooting lots of shots to get the one or two good ones and deleting the not so good ones and not going broke developing the film.
They are not even worth the trouble in a photo edit program. I used to be able to play with the gamma or sharpen with pics from the C4000 ... not the E500. It's truly been a "Re-volt"ing camera for me.

Maybe it's good for some .... but not all of us. :sad:

Dissapointed while walking down Natural Avenue .....

Natural Avenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:17 AM   #5

natural..your opinion sounds a bit groundless and inexperienced
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:23 AM   #6

To expand on Edge's comment....

Natural is probably just like this guy:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=36

The same explanation I gave there probably pertains here too. A point & shooter new to digital SLR's and expecting them to work just like a point & shoot digicam. A little hint here...they don't.

Of course a 35mm provides great results most of the time- you don't have to do any of the work AFTER taking the picture! The lab takes allthose negatives and makes the necessary adjustmentsand then prints them all using sophisticated equipment that color corrects and prints your images out at their optimum level (assuming you have a good lab). Guess who nowhas to do that work afterwardswith digital.....you and I!I simply don't know why most people don't "get it"- we really had it easy with film- digital is fun and all with instant gratification as far as seeing the image on the screen after taking it, but the process doesn't stop there, and that's the rub. Digital SLR's are ultimately for people who want the best possible quality and are WILLING TO DO THE WORK AFTERWARDS to get those results. Photoshop, levels adjustments, sharpening, all the things I mentioned in the above past link. Take a look at the "soft wall" and the adjustments I made to it. Again, as I said in that post, JPEG files are not finished images. You have to know what to do with them to get the best results.

Dummy modes are the worst invention of this industry and best avoided if at all possible. "Sports" mode in Olympus and Canon models (the two brands I've used)utilize ISO ratings of 100-400 and that's it- they don't go any higher, and even with fast glass ISO 800 is a must much of the time, so Sports mode is the worst feature you can try and use if you're trying to shoot sports indoors or at night. Shutter Priority at 1/200 or 1/250 sec with the lens that's no faster than f3.5 or f4.5 will get you exactly what you got- nothing but underexposed, noisy, useless pictures. I'm not quite sure why you were expecting more. At those speeds you needAT LEASTan F2.8 lens and ISO 800 or 1600.

If you had bought yourself somereally goodglass, like the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko, and learneda photo editing program like Photoshop or Elementsyou could have shot images like this:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1145229

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/902698

News flash here...kit lenses are not the best for many subjects, including indoors for events you describe. They are too slow for lower lit subjects. When it comes to glass, you really do get what you pay for, and $200 (the difference between an E-500 body only and the two lens kit) doesn't get you a ton of performance.

You get out of a DSLR the work to put into the images AFTER you push the shutter release. If you don't make the effort, don't go expecting much, andbuying any other brand gets you no closer to the perfect JPEG when it comes to this type camera.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:21 AM   #7

As I said in another thread here, having a digital camera is like carrying around a miniature darkroom with you. Just shooting in jpeg gives you much greater control over the final results than with a film camera (even if you were a freak with filters back then), not to mention the potential with RAW. Unfortunately, Mr. Natural simply didn't understand photography well enough to be using any dSLR.
I wish him well, but also hope he gets a clue and does some actual study about photography before blaming his next piece of equipment.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:02 PM   #8

Hey Greg,

The second link you posted requires a password to see.

Just a FYI

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If you had bought yourself somereally goodglass, like the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko, and learneda photo editing program like Photoshop or Elementsyou could have shot images like this:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1145229

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/902698

gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:15 PM   #9

OOPS! Sorry about that. I removed the password requirement.

Thanks!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:21 PM   #10

I am planning on getting the E-500 two lens kit. I found upgrading the firmware and software to latest revs is the first thing to do. Second thing is read the book and play with each setting. Third thing, read and post to this site to learn tricks and tips.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote