Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1

Olympus Evolt-500 body costs the same as the Canon Rebel XT.

Both are 8mp. Oly uses a CCD sensor (4/3); Canon CMOS (APS size).

Are they similar in other features/performance?

The EVOLT-500 1 lens kit is $800. The 2nd lens in the kit, a 35mm equivalent of 300mm, is $100 more (my only reason for considering it).

Rebel kit is $750.

I dont see spending hundreds on lenses. Perhaps I might need

a macro lens, but I sure dont want to haul around a 500mm bazooka.

any suggestions?

Perhaps spending a few hundred $ more to get a 20D would be wiser?

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2

Romphotog,

Where are you getting your prices? I know that at Onecall.com (I am not endorsing any company, I just know there price and that I got my Camera there :-)) they have the Olympus E-500 Two Lens Kit for $799.00 and there is also a $100.00 Olympus Rebate. So Final Price for the 2 lens kit would be $699.00

Oh, just seen on the site they have an extra $25.00 coupon. (Not a big deal, it would cover the shipping cost.)

Why oh Why did I not wait.

Oh well, I have had it since November and I LOVE IT.

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
Olympus Evolt-500 body costs the same as the Canon Rebel XT.

Both are 8mp. Oly uses a CCD sensor (4/3); Canon CMOS (APS size).

Are they similar in other features/performance?

The EVOLT-500 1 lens kit is $800. The 2nd lens in the kit, a 35mm equivalent of 300mm, is $100 more (my only reason for considering it).

Rebel kit is $750.

I dont see spending hundreds on lenses. Perhaps I might need

a macro lens, but I sure dont want to haul around a 500mm bazooka.

any suggestions?

Perhaps spending a few hundred $ more to get a 20D would be wiser?

gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3

I see you've posted to both the Canon and Olympus forums, and each side will predictably favor its own brand. To be objective about this, you should ideally handle the cameras in the store and see how each fits your face and hands.

Ask yourself how you intend on using the camera. Are you shooting for the web, for small prints, or gigantic posters, etc. Do you shoot a lot of fast sports indoors? Do you fancy yourself a paparazi type photographer who likes to machinegun exposures, or a thinking type who spends more time composing and designing the shot? The two cameras' general features can be seen side-by-side HERE. But there are other issues as well.

The Canons will produce slightly better high-ISO shots out of camera, but every camera's quality at high ISO is worse than at low ISO, so it's not something you want to use all the time unless you have no alternative. I handle high-ISO noise on the Olympus E-300 with third-party NR programs (Neatimage and Noiseware are both excellent). Ask yourself how much you'll be shooting at ISO 1600 versus ISO 100 when making the decision. In contrast, the Olympus has better out-of-camera color (a general opinion based on reviews and comments I've seen around the web).

The kit lenses on the Oly are certainly better than those on the Canon, both optically and mechanically (Canon's have plastic bases, versus metal on the Olympus).

The Olympus has two features not available in any other dSLR: SSWF dust-reduction filter that really works (google for "sensor dust" to get an idea of how much an issue it is), and built-in pixel mapping to take care of the occasional hot or dead or stuck pixels that will occur in any dSLR; in the case of the Canon, you'll have to clean the sensor yourself or send it in for cleaning. Different folks have different opinions about how much trouble sensor dust is; you be the judge. In any event, pixel mapping on the Canon must be done at the dealer.

Finally, a dSLR is fundamentally different from a P&S camera in many ways, and demands a certain learning period. Most manufacturers build dSLRs with more neutral image quality settings (contrast, saturation) than they provide on P&S cameras, since they assume the owner of a dSLR wants more control and is more willing to do some post-processing to get that control. If you have no interest in post processing and are just looking for good image quality, I'd suggest your getting a high-end prosumer P&S rather than a dSLR.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

I really dont see a need for the smaller kit lens. I shoot a lot of zoom,

not wide angle, or macro.

If the Evolt-500 had been offered only with the bigger kit lens for $100 less,

then I would get it. 35mm equivalent of 28-300mm/200mm would not have been a

problem as it's on the pro-sumer Fuji S9000, KM A200, etc. As such, it looks like a swindle and a marketing gimmick to push their camera on SLR buyers who otherwise wouldnt buy it.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:43 AM   #5

Regardless of how you choose to shoot you will find the shorter focal lengths very useful, and you will never find a better deal on a high quality new lens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:18 AM   #6

You should just buy the Rebel Xt body only. It's $689 at Zipzoomfly. down to $589 w. the $100 off rebate.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ffiliate=yahoo

The kit lens is too slow.
Just save the extra money you'll save from choosing the body only option and get the Tamron f2.8 - 28-75mm for $300 bucks.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...ype=bottomline

Another wise option is to buy the Konica Minolta 5d with Anti-Shake built in. Canon or the Oly does not have IS built-in. So keep that in mind.

Good luck.

dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:59 AM   #7

If you dobuy the Canon, one of the (huge)advantages to Canon is their USM technology. The other third party equivalent is Sigma's HSM motors. Both are silent and fast. I would neverbuy the Rebel XT and notget a lenswithout either USM or HSM motors- it's one of their bigger selling points. In all honesty, I wouldn't buy anything other than Canon's lenses (only the ones with the RING USM motor- they don't all use that motor), but then againI am not a third-party advocate. Nor am I a salesperson- the Canon kit lens is the absolute worst choice- it really is....not good at all. I just think you need to get the best possible quality lens to go with any body you buy, and best quality is not Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc, etc.. To me the absolute least I would buy is Canon's 17-85 lens with image stabilization. From there the prices go up for reallygood optics. Whatever lens you buy, it will go onto your next generation body, so don't go buy something just because it's cheaper. In the long run you'll regret it. It is true, with Canon you have a much, much bigger selection of makers and lenses to choose from. It is also true that makes it a much harder decision, because there's a whole lot morejunk out there you can wind up with.

If you really want/need to buy a kit outfit, Olympus kit lenses are much betterthanCanon's kit lenses.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8

I purchased the E-500 due to my budget for body and lenses. If you can afford the Canon XT, I would get it with the better Canon lens with IS and other features. The lack of image stabilization in the E-500 is a definite drawback.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote