Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:55 AM   #11

I will third Norm's estimated price, no doubt. Olympus sells the same basic lens for over $400, and that's without the extra you'll pay for image stabilization or (ahem) the Leica name. Canon's lower selling image stabilized lenses are all slower (f3.5-4.5 or slower) than this lens and they also have the addedadvantage of selling tons of those compared to the number of these that will be going out the store. I have no doubt this will be a much better built lens than those Canon consumer models though-there will be a market and they will sell, but you can't figure on this lens being a budget item....it won't be.

If I already had KM lenses, I'd find a 7D if they were still available anywhere in a minute. It's an outstanding body with easy access to almost every standard setting most use without having to delve into menues. I had one in my hands for the first time only several weeks when I was in Fry's Electronic store here in Dallas, and it's quite nice. I have no doubt Sony will offer great future models, just as I am sure the Olympus/Panasonic combowill keep the 4/3 system a viable alternative.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12

This is all very interesting stuff! Maybe I'll reconsider and get a KM 5D while they're still around, as an interim camera? It's a lot cheaper than the Panasonic/Leica solution.

Meanwhile, there still remains the dust-on-sensor issue... From the various things I've read, some people think it's not a big deal to clean the sensor (JimC - how's this worked out for you?), while others think it's a significant detraction from the joys of DSLR ownership. Other's opinions? Any news if Sony has a self-cleaning sensor as well?
DrummerCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:40 AM   #13

The sensor issue and dustall depends on the mental makeup of the user, literally.

How many times do you shoot the all blue sky at f22? That's how most folks find dust on their sensors. I shot a Digital Rebel/Canon 10D outfit for 2 years prior to switching to Olympus, andI'll tell you I never cleaned the sensors on either Canon DSLR once, and you'll find no images of the all blue skyon my hard drivesshot at f16 or f22 looking for it. You have a shutter curtain in front of the sensor and a mirror in front of that, so it's not like the sensor is sticking out there just asking for dust to attach itself to it.Most all my shootingwith the Canon's weredone between f4 and f8 or f11 and you need to get to those smaller f-stops and in lighter areas of an image before those dust spots starts rearing their ugly heads. Be sensible- when you switch lenses, do so with the camera turned DOWN, and while I don't know if it meant anything or not, I always turned my camera OFF when changing lenses.

It will vary from user to user and some people do shoot in environments where dust does make a difference, but I would guess for most amatuers the dust issues come down to how manic you are about it. Some insist on cleaning their sensors, period, just in case there's dust there.

Sony HAS no system yet. Until we all see what they're going to build, there's no telling whether they'll have an anti-dust system like Olympus or not.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Administrator

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If I already had KM lenses, I'd find a 7D if they were still available anywhere in a minute. It's an outstanding body with easy access to almost every standard setting most use without having to delve into menues. I had one in my hands for the first time only several weeks when I was in Fry's Electronic store here in Dallas, and it's quite nice. I have no doubt Sony will offer great future models, just as I am sure the Olympus/Panasonic combowill keep the 4/3 system a viable alternative.
Adorama has incredible deal while supplies last. Note that the 7D body alone was selling at $949 a couple of weeks ago at B&H, and the lens sells for $389. Don't forget that this camera was selling for *more* than an EOS-20D initially, too.

B&H is now down to $829 on a 7D body while supplies last (and still $389 for the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens).

Adorama has the 7D including the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens at $949 now while supplies last. This is a super deal.

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html?...&item_no=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Administrator

DrummerCT wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, there still remains the dust-on-sensor issue...
It's not usually a big deal to clean a spec of dust from a sensor (a puff of air from a rubber bulb with the mirror locked up and camera upside down usually does it).

I haven't even needed to clean the sensor on my 5D yet (and I've been using it since October, changing lenses often).

Others have reported seeing dust on a brand new camera. It happens.

But, I wouldn't worry about it. If a puff of air doesn't do it, there are a number of third party solutions designed to help you clean a sensor (brushes, swabs, etc.).

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:07 PM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Adorama has the 7D including the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens at $949 now while supplies last. This is a super deal.

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html?...&item_no=1

That 28-75/2.8lens coupled withKM's 11-18 zoom would be a great combination at a super price. I love thereally wide stuff...my favorite lens is the Olympus 7-14 andI had always wanted an E-1. The lower prices this last year on that bodymade it a no-brainer for meswitching to Olympus, after taking the deep breathand handing the card over to the guy at the counter tobuy the 7-14...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:18 PM   #17
Administrator

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I love thereally wide stuff...my favorite lens is the Olympus 7-14 andI had always wanted an E-1. The lower prices this last year on that bodymade it a no-brainer for meswitching to Olympus, after taking the deep breathand handing the card over to the guy at the counter tobuy the 7-14...
The prices are really nice for a body of it's quality. If I were going to buy an Oly body, the E-1 is the one I'd get. To heck with more megapixels. lol

The lens cost would kill me though (because I'd probably want the f/2 zooms). ;-)

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:29 PM   #18

I was looking for a 14mm to ?? f/1.8 to f/2 lens for the E-500 for low light that was not $1000+.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:52 PM   #19

mckennma wrote:
Quote:
I was looking for a 14mm to ?? f/1.8 to f/2 lens for the E-500 for low light that was not $1000+.

:-):-):-):-)
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:55 PM   #20
Administrator

mckennma wrote:
Quote:
B&H had the 35-100mm f/2 listed at $2199 (out of stock now). But, the 14-35mm f/2 isn't available yet, at least not at vendors I've checked.

But, you can't even get f/2 zooms for other camera models (nothing brighter than f/2.8 ) ;-)

The Zuiko f/2 zooms are the brightest in the world for use on a DSLR model with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...lenses_pr.html

Of course, you could argue that you need the extra stop with the Olympus E Series due to noise differences compared to some competing DSLR models (since you could use an f/2.8 zoom with them at higher ISO speeds). Of course, there are users arguing both sides of this issue.

There are pros and cons to any system.