Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:39 AM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting on getting used lens. I will check out that site. I was looking for a 14-28mm f/1.8. It would be 28-56mm f/1.8 to get decent wide angle and average zoom. Could not find one. f/1.4 were expensive in wide angle. I would settle for a f/1.8 wide angle. Manual focus would not bother me.
You can't find zoom lenses that bright (for any camera model). They don't exist.

The brightest zooms made are the f/2 Zuikos specifically designed for the E Series cameras (and only the 35-100mm f/2 has shipped, at over $2000 when you can find one).

You'd need to go with primes (non zoom) lenses if you want brighter than f/2.8

As we mentioned before:

Quote:
The Zuiko f/2 zooms are the brightest in the world for use on a DSLR model with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...lenses_pr.html
As for OM lenses, you'd need an adapter. Perhaps some Olympus owners can clarify what's available (it's my understanding the Olympus was offering OM to E-Series adapters at one time).

Quote:
Any other reputable used sites?
My favorites for used gear:

http://www.keh.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:49 AM   #42

I did see the f/2.0 for $2000+. Out of my budget. I would be too afraid to drop it.

MF-1 OM Adapter (OM to 4/3 Lens Adapter) Item #260231is the adapter, according to Olympus. $100 @ B&H.

I will learn to use my three lens.

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:26 PM   #43

Finished ordering

2 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III CF (B&H was out of 1GB)
Cleaning kit
2 x 58mm UV filters General Brand
1 x 67mm UV filters General Brand
EP-5 Eyecup
2 x BLM-1 batteries

Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:49 AM   #44

E-500 arrived. I read the books and attached the strap. I will charge the battery tonight. The book states 5 hours for initial charge.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:34 AM   #45

I received the E-300 refurb that I bought last week on eBay directly from Olympus. I noticed the accompanyingcharger was different from the one that came with my E-1 even though they use the same battery- it must one that takes longer to charge the battery like you now have. The charger that came with theE-1 only takes about 90 minutes to charge theproprietary battery and I'm glad I have it- 90 minutes is long enough! This smaller charger that came with the E-300 will stay in the box.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:44 AM   #46

Initial charge is 5 hours. Each charge after is 2 hours. I cannot find a quick charger but 2 hours would not be bad. My Canon S45 is 1.5 hours. My S1 IS AA charger is 30 minutes but you can't touch and use the batteries for 10-15 minutes because they are so hot. The quick charger really heats the batteries. I would not try loading them in the camera until they cool. I carry three sets of batteries per camera. On my trips, I get back to the ship or hotel and charge up the batteries before going to dinner. They say 400+ pictures on the E-500 battery. I do use flash or LCD, so it extends battery life. I also shutoff when not using it. I can wait the second to turn on the camera. It protects the camera while walking. I saw some 3rd party batteries with higher mA levels. I doubt I will be taking more than 200 per day.

The manuals could be better. I am glad we have Steve's Digicam.