Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:05 PM   #1

Have the FL-36 on order but am now questioning if I should have gone with the FL-50.

Would like to hear from other E-500 owners which flash they went with and how it has worked out.

More power with the FL-50 would be nice but how will this bigger unit feel when used with the E-500. From researching the FL-50 it seems to have been designed for the larger E-1
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2

I have the FL-50 on the E-300 and am glad I have the extra power. The one advantage of the FL-36 on the E-300 (I don't think this applies to the E-500, but not sure), is that when using the FL-36, you can use the built-in flash as fill flash, but you can't do that with the FL-50 (too big to let the built-in flash pop up). But in every other measure, the FL-50 is much better. Particularly if you're shooting a party or other event where you need quick recycle times, the FL-36 is too slow. Also, I shoot a lot bouncing off the ceiling or walls, or through a diffuser, and the extra power of the FL-50 is good for that.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:45 PM   #3

Norm

Howis the balance of the FL-50 mounted to your E-300?

The FL-36 seems to be more proportionally designed for the E-300 and the E-500. Wider and shorter.

One of the deciding factors in my going with the E-500 was how comfortable it felt to me. In deciding on the flash I do not have the opportunity to compare them.

The FL-50 with the extra weight and extra height just concerns me that the E-500 with the bigger flash unit will feel almost top heavy.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:31 PM   #4

i have the FL-36..and while i like it, norm is right..it doesn't charge as quickly, and i tend to use it as a bounce and waiting for it is getting a bit annoying...great flash, just lacks the "umphh" of the FL-50 and it's accessory line...one of my next purchases

also... on the E500, you cannot use both flashes..which is a drag given the weakness of the FL-36
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5

I bought the FL-36 for my E-500 and like it. I had to wait 4 months to get it, but now that Olympus has finally decided to send a few over to the states, I was glad to get it.

I debated whether to get the FL-50, but decided to go the cheap route after spending quite a bit of money for the FL-40 (for my C-5050) and then discovering its incompatability with the E-500. While it is not as powerful, the small size of the FL-36 makes the camera a bit less "wieghty."
JPOSBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6

I have used the FL-36 and Fl-50 with my E-500, and I much prefer the E-50 flash. As Norm has mentioned the extra power has come in handy any number of times when I was doing a job.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:14 PM   #7

well, in my quest for bankruptcy i have just received the FL-50..and can truly say that there is a huge difference between it and the FL-36...the charge times are quick as can be and the output is a bit higher...the FL-50 is definitely a lot larger in size as well....man..olympus is making me broke..lol, in the last 2 weeks i have bought the 50-200, the 1.4 teleconverter, the EX-25 macro extension, the 50mm/f2 and now this flash...i think i am good to go until next year
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:05 PM   #8

Which type batteries are you using with your FL-50, Edge? I was using AA's in mine until I tried CR-V3's last change. They are expensive, but workincredibly compared to the AA performance.

Greg
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9

2300 mAh Nickel Metal Hydrides.....no lithiums yet:roll: