Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1

is this a good idea?

does anyone have one of these?

thank you.
guicklook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:53 AM   #2

Probably as good as an idea of getting anything that's factory demo.Depends how much it's been handled -- some store displays are kept behind glass and just tested for a few seconds from prospective buyers.* Some store displays are out in the open tethered by a security cable, subject to lots of abuse.Factory refurbished is better -- at least someone's looked at the camera to determine if it's as "good as new".* Of course, you hope that that someone is an Olympus tech.
JeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:39 AM   #3

here is more information, the warrenty is 90 days from olympus and 1 year from the camera shop.

"In most cases a Olympus Factory Demo are items that has been used as a Olympus display piece or as a "Salesman's Sample". They have never been owned by a consumer and have minimal to no use. Each item is individually checked and tested before it is shipped to us from Olympus. Where some may have small marks or slight imperfections in the finish, it is important to note that the items are in brand new operating condition "

thanks for any help.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:59 AM   #4

I recently purchased a refurbished E-300 from Olympus through eBay for $350. The camera had a couple of tick marks in the finish on the top front edge, but otherwise looks like new and certainly works like new. It came with all the cables and Olympus software but no Photoshop Elements as a new model would, which is fine with me since I already own CS2. Olympus has a 99.6% rating with well over 10,000 feedbacks, so I'd check with them and see if they have any for sale.

The language you quoted looks just like what Olympus had on the E-300 auction I won. I'd say, in the case of my E-300,it's absolutely correct.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:28 AM   #5

I actually bought an "open box" E-300 back in August from a camera store in Toronto...in my case I got the FULL Olympus warranty. It looks like the camera was tested by salespeople/held by customers in the store (some marks around the USB connector; it is difficult to get the cable in due to the rubber door). I admit that if I knew how to check the shutter count before buying the camera I would have done that (I've since done that and it wasn't significant).

I don't regret it, but you have to make sure the savings you get is worth any future hassles (I also got a three year warranty from the store itself, and this store stands behind their warranties).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:48 AM   #6

how do you check the shutter count?

thank you in advance.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:19 AM   #7

From other forums:

to check shutter count > power on, open the cf door
1. press "play"+"ok" together
2. press the following button in order "up" "down" "left" "right" on the dial
3. fully press the shutter release button
4. press "up" on the dial
press "right" to page 2
page2
R: 00XXXXXX mean shutter release count
S: 00XXXXXX unknown
M: 00XXXXXX pixel map count
U: 00XXXXXX ultrasonic wave count

When you're done just turn off the camera, and close the CF door.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote