Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:44 AM   #1

I have just bought an Olympus E1, would any person be so kind as to tell me what lens, is most suitable for this camera
dingbat 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:12 PM   #2

Any Olympus E series....just depends on what you want to shoot and (especially)what your budget is. To get the 35mm equivalent to any of the lenses below I've listed, simplymultiply by 2x. For instance, the 14-54 zoom in 35mm terms is the same as a 28-108 zoom.

The body you purchasedis weather sealed, which could be important where you live. You'd probably do well to buy weather sealed lenses too, which would be any of the following:

7-14 f4, 11-22 f2.8-3.5, 14-54 f2.8-3.5, 50-200 f2.8-3.5, 50mm f2.

Of course, to COMPLETELY weather seal them, you'd also need to buy a protectivefilter for the front element.

For most, I'd say the most popular two lens combinations are (1) 14-54 and50-200, and (2) 11-22 and 50-200.

There are others, but the prices start getting quite high. Even in the list above, prices aren't cheap, especially for that 7-14 zoom! If cheaper is what you need, the models listed below are not weather sealed, but are muchless expensiveand pretty darn good optically:

14-45, 40-150, 35 f3.5 macro, any of the three current Sigma zooms. For what it is, I consider the Olympus 18-180 relatively inexpensive at $500US and I've seen enough images online to say it lookspretty decent optically, but whetherthat's inexpensive/affordable for you isa call you have to make.

Sigma is also about to start selling additional zooms in Olympus mount, so you'll need to look into those two.

That's a rough outline as to what my take on the system is. What's best for you? Who the heck knows. Only you can tell us that.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:14 PM   #3

Thank You Greg. Very much appreciated

dingbat 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:37 PM   #4

I personally use E-300s, rather than the E-1, but in my experience, the first decision to make is between the 11-22 or the 14-54. If you are a serious wide angle shooter, you will find that the 11-22 is your main lens. If wide angle shooting is more of an occassional thing for you, then you will find the 14-54 to be more versatile for you. For me, the 11-22 was indispensible.

The next question, IMHO, is between the inexpensive and easily carried 40-150, or the superb quality, faster, but much bigger, more costly and heavier, 50-200. For me, the small size and weight and very low cost for the quality of the 40-150 tipped the balance that way.

I also use adapters for older long telephoto glass that I already owned for my old manual focus Nikons for several special purpose lenses: A 90mm f2.5 macro, a 50mm f1.8 that makes a great fast portrait lens, and 100-300 f4 zoom and 500mm mirror lenses. One very nice feature of the Olympus 4/3 system is how easily older manual focus glass can be adapted to it. You need to focus manually, and meter at the shooting aperture, but in practice, this works fine - especially for macro work.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:29 PM   #5

I would like to Thank you all for your help. Now I have another probley The camera will not recognise the compact flash cards all I get is card error
dingbat2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:04 PM   #6

Where did you buy your camera? A store? Or on Ebay?

olympian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:27 AM   #7

I've bought all of my Oly gear on ebay. Many of these, I got from Cameta Camera, who is a very reliable vendor with whom I've been dealing for many years, since well before ebay existed, but who now uses ebay as their main selling venue.

But I also bought my 11-22 from a private party (for slightly under $500 used - new it would have cost me nearly $700, less a $50 rebate from Olympus - so buying a near mint lens used saved me around $150).
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:59 AM   #8

Hi Doug.
That is where I bought the camera body. (Cameta Camera) I i.d. the fault, it was the retaining pins for the flash card, 2 of them were bent. A Factory fault; I suspect. They would not replace the camera as I had not got the original packaging. even thought I had all other docoments. They agreed if I sent it back they would repair it. It was only a month old and I never even took a picture from that camera. I will never deal with them again
dingbat2006 is offline   Reply With Quote