Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 30, 2006, 5:36 PM   #11
jq

John,

There is no reason to have both lenses. From the beginning, Costco advertised and even listed on their instore signs that it was a 17.5-45 in the kit, but in fact, they were selling the 14-45 as part of the two lens kit. They also included a 512 card that was not listed. My son bought one and its working very nicely. There is no reason to keep the 17.5-45. You lose about 7mm of wide angle from the 14-45.

In fact, I was just trying to ascertain whether the current kit with Costco has the 17 or 14 lens. No one seems to be sure!!!!
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 6:02 PM   #12

jq,

The Costco kit definitely comes with the 17.5-45 - at least the one I bought did.

Thanks very much for your input :-)

John

jsulmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:45 PM   #13

I considered this too. I called Olympus and they said that Costco actually made the lens...I said "What?". I asked if he meant that literally and he confirmed, but I dont know if that is true, but he and others said its not the same quality lens. They had it on their website, but the store here only had a Nikon D50 2 lens kit....it also had an odd lens combination that you wont find elsewhere.

I got mine at Amazon for $709...same price as Bestbuy but without the tax and shipping it would have cost me. However, Im having troubles with it and going to send it back for exchange rather than send it to Olympus to repair it. Debating whether to stick with the Evolt or get a Pentax possibly.
Oly500Enewuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:04 AM   #14
jq

Well, thats a bummer!! I was hoping that it was still the 14-45. I think the 14-54 is rated much higher but about twice the price and not available in the kit. Still undecided between D-50 and E500. I want to throw the two together and make one perfect camera!!! And no, that is not a Canon!!! As soon as I commit to one of these, they will come out with a new improved model the next day, guaranteed.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:15 PM   #15

jq,

Sam's Club is still selling the two lens kit with the 14-45 lens for $699 - no rebate needed. I just checked online and they're out of stock for delivery, but perhaps you can find one locally:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...mp;item=320363

Good luck,

John
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:25 AM   #16
jq

The SAMS around Sacto don't stock the Oly 500. Only dslr was Canon Rebel XT.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:41 AM   #17

I noticed a couple of days ago that they were back in stock for delivery via samsclub.com...