Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif[/img]¬*¬*I just purchased an E-500 2 lens kit, and was amazed when i found that instead of a 14-45 basic lens, it is a 17.5-45.¬* What's even more disturbing, this lens does not show up on the Olympus website anywhere (that I can find)¬* Does anyone know anything about this?[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:49 PM   #2

Well, I just¬* found the answer my own question:¬* ¬*http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/¬* ¬*This the basic kit lens for a cheaper 2 lens kit.¬* With rebate, under $700.¬* Ya get what ya pay for, I guess.¬*
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:43 PM   #3

Yep, from what I've seen & heard on the webit's just a cheaper lens for Olympus to make and offer- no metal lens mount. Haven't seen one in persondown here yet, so I didn't know what they were selling the kits for that had it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:03 AM   #4

dandand wrote:
Quote:
[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif[/img]¬*¬*I just purchased an E-500 2 lens kit, and was amazed when i found that instead of a 14-45 basic lens, it is a 17.5-45.¬* What's even more disturbing, this lens does not show up on the Olympus website anywhere (that I can find)¬* Does anyone know anything about this?[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
You can find information about your lens here :

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...-56/index.html
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

I'm new to photography andbought the Costco set (the only one available at the time) and then purchased the 14-45 lens on eBay, thinking that it having all three lenses would be the best of both worlds.

What I'm wondering now is whether or not there's any need to have both the 17-45 and 14-45 lenses. Since I have no experience or knowledge of lenses, can someone tell me if the 14-45hasthe same range - and more - as the 17-45? In other words, can the 14-45 zoom in just as far, but also zoom outas far - and beyond - as the 17-45? If this is the case, is there any benefit of keeping or using the 17-45, such as less distortion or pin cushioning, etc?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Much thanks,

John

jsulmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

John, the ability to zoom in is the same at 45mm. The smaller the number the wider the view, so the 14-45 is wider at 14mm than the 17-45 is at 17mm, so the 14-45 does have a marginally wider range.

As to whether you should keep both or not, I would say you probably should keep both for a couple of reasons. One, just in case something happens to one you'd have the other. Two, neither lens will bring a great deal of money second-hand so I'd just hang on to it.
Old May 17, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7

Another option would be getting the 14-54mm as it's a brighter lens (opens up larger to let more light in).

A third option is to keep using the 17-45mm as a mid-range lens, and get the wider 11-22mm, or if you have money to spare the 7-14mm for extreme wide.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. Here's why I ask: I bought the 2 lens combo kit (with the 17-45) Costco for $799, with a $100 rebate. I haven't submitted the rebate yet, as I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the kit. After buying the 14-45 on eBay for around $80 (which I think was a good price for a brand new lens) I discovered that I can get the better two-lens kit (with the 14-45) at Sam's Club for $699 and no rebate. At first, I figured I'd keep the Costco kit and have the benefit of all three lenses, even though it would cost me an extra $90-$100 (cost of the eBay lens and tax on the extra $100 I paid at Costco). However, if the 14-45 does exactly what the 17-45 does - and more - thanI might not ever use the 17-45.

I still have the option of returning the Costco kit, selling the eBay lens on eBay (probably for what I paid or more) and then getting the better kit for $699 from Sam's Club.

On the other hand, since the 17-45 is not available by itself, I wonder if it's worth the extra money I paid to have it (provided there's ever a reason to use it)

Does that make sense? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

As for all the other lenses that were suggested, they all sound great, but I have a feeling they'd be quite a bit more than what I paid for the 14-45. I did notice that on a lot of my shots with both the 14-45 and the 40-150 that the pictures were a bit dark and shadowy - even out in the sun. Granted, I'm new to photography and I was using the scene presets, but perhapsa lens that lets in more light would be nice. Hypothetically, if I were tostart buying numerous lenses at some point, would I want to invest in a higher-end digital SLR first?

Much thanks,

John
Old May 26, 2006, 1:44 PM   #9

I never received a reply to my last post, so I thought I'd ask again. My main question is whether or not it makes sense to have both the 17.5-45 and the 14-45. As stated above, I originally bought the cheaper kit with the 17 and bought the 14-45 on eBay. I then discovered that I could buy the "better" kit for basically the same $, meaning I could return the first kit, sell the lens I bought on eBay and just have the 14-45 and the 40-150.

I'm interested in finding out if there are any characteristics of the 17.5-45 lens that distinguish it from the 14-45 that make it worth keeping. I know it has a plastic mount, that it doesn't go as wide as the 14-45, and that it takes a52mm filter rather than a 58mm. Does this difference (52mm vs. 58mm) give this lens unique characteristics that make it worth keeping? Is there any reason to EVER use this lens RATHER than the 14-45? If not, i.e. if the 14-45 can do everything and more - why would I ever use it? Is there any reason to keep it, other than to have it as a spare?

Sorry to be so redundant, I just need to make a decision ASAP.

MUCH thanks,

John

Old May 26, 2006, 2:49 PM   #10

I wouldsee no reason to keep it other thanyou might have to pay some one to take it. The 14-45 is realtively cheap on ebay second-hand. I don't think I've seen the 17.5-45 out there yet for saleused, butI'd be shocked if you couldget $50 for it. By the time you pay the listing fees and charges at the end by both ebay and/or PayPal I'm not sure where the gain is in selling it.