Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:35 AM   #1

Hi,

Does anybody know how to 'lock' an aperture opening on a lens for E-series DSLRs? Something like depth-of-view preview. I'm a newbie to SLRs and I'm using aE-330.

I'm currently fooling around with reverse lens photography but I'm having trouble with the very shallow DOF and I'm not sure how to first adjust to aperture to be smaller and leave them that way before I remove my lens (a 14-45mm F3.5-F5.6 kit ZD) and turn it the other way around.

Thanks in-advance for any answers or suggestions.
cjtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:31 AM   #2

As you know, the aperture is adjusted using the switch (dial) in the body, based on electronic communication between body and lens; without that communication, I don't know if it would be possible to adjust the aperture at all.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:15 AM   #3

It is not possible with the electronic 4/3 lenses...they are designed to stay opened until the shutter triggers. Also, all aperture control is done on the body and not the lens (don't know if the Leica 4/3 lenses with a lens aperture control will be any different).

For this type of photography you'd have to use a manual lens that has the ability of closing down the aperture off the body...not to mention you'd also need the macro ring adapter AND the corresponding 4/3 ring that will attach to the macro ring adapter.

For 4/3 there are easier alternatives for macro/closeup photography.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4

It's possible! Got a tip from aCanon-wielding bloke: just press and hold downthe DOF preview button and then remove the lens -lens aperture is left at whatever f-stop it was previewed at.

Now I've got to get a good external flash... increasing f-stops to get better DOF for macro makes everything darker.

Thanks for all the feedback though!
cjtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:04 PM   #5

If you wish to risk damage to your camera and/or lens, go right ahead. Personally a better alternative would be to get a mechanical lens like an OM 50mm f/2 to do this; you can use them on the used market.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6

I tend to agree with the others here already that, even if you find a way to "hack" them into staying stopped down, I'm niot sure it's in your financial best interest to do so. I'd think for what you are wanting to do, like Mike said,you'd be best off buying an OM to Nikon mount, get the (I believe) BR-1 ring so you can reverse the Nikkor and get yourself a couple of nice, used Nikkors that don't need that kind of manipulation in order to do what you want. I only suggest Nikon because the used stuff is just out there in droves compared to most any other mount, but I'm sure the same equipment is available in OM mount- it just may take a little longer to run down.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote