Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

Hi,I just photographed a wedding.¬* I used a FL-36 with my E-300.¬* Since tthe church had high ceilings, I used a LumaQuest pocket bounce.¬* I had the flash set to Auto TTL, and the Camera to the spot flash, and ESP mode.¬* In both modes,¬* got inconsistant results.¬* Either the photos had the correct exposure, or were¬* severely under exposed.¬* I set the camera to "P" mode, as well as Apeture and Shutter modes...all with the same results.¬* Any advice?¬* Thanks.¬*
jsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

The pocket bounce comes at a cost of distance and power. The FL-36 is already underpowered for this type of work anyway. Add to that the pocket bouce and several things come to mind.

1. Recycle time- did you let the flash fully power back up prior to each shot? If not, the flash may not have fullyre-cycled in time for some shots.

2. Distance- If the flash had not recycled fully, coupled with the bounce that scatters light, if you are slightly further away for some shots than othersthe flash doesn't have the power to cover the distance.

3. Aperture- were you ever using smaller settings than, say, f4 or f5.6? At anything smaller (f8, f11, etc) the flash is going to be short of power when coupled with the bounce attachment if you are further than maybe5-8 feet.

Add to that, things like white....white is a prevelent color at weddings, and if you don't compensate, some shots will come out underexposed. Flash metering, like ambient light metering, is set by mostmakersto give proper exposure to middle grey, so if you shoot a scene with enough white in it and don't add more light (positive flash exposure compensation) you wind up with underexposure. Likewise, if you don't compensate the other way with negative flash exposure compensation, a picture of 6 guys with all black tuxedos will turn out overexposed with blown out faces.

Film photography- more accurately print film with it's huge latitude for exposure mistakes, spoiled amatuersbecause automated film processing compensated for many bad exposures if youused a good lab- in many waysfilm isstill a better option for those unwilling to do what it takes to get it right with the digital process. Shooting digital is like taking pictures with the most super sensative slide film ever made. If you don't get the exposurefairly close to perfect, you are going to have problems.

Weddings, flash technology and digitalare a combination forphotography disasters if you are not prepared or ableto do what it takes to get the exposure right.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3

Greg,Thanks for the answer. This is very helpful.¬* Well, I guess it's time to get the FL-50 and use a light meter.¬* Thanks Again.Jim
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:10 PM   #4
Administrator

In addition to what Greg Chappellmentioned, ISO speed can play a role in flash range.

It's nice to get lower noise in photos by keeping ISO speed set low. But, if you're trying to use a flash in conditions where range is reduced (bouncing, use of diffusers), you may need to increase it.

Each time you double the ISO speed, flash range increases by 1.4x

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:43 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help