Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1

Any thoughts on the ZD 14-45 v. ZD 14-54 v. Sigma 18-50?
Thanks.
Marc Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

My choice is none of the above. IMHO, the 14-45 kit lens is sharp enough (although a few folks I know claim that their versions are soft). My problem with it is that it's too darn slow for general purpose use, as it's slower than F4.0 for most of its range.

The Sigma has the same problem, and, while I've never used it, I suspect that it's build quality is below that of the Olympus kit lens. And of course, 18mm is not very wide in the 4/3 system.

As for the Olympus 14-54, it's certainly the best of the three optics that you listed, and it's excellent build quality, reasonably fast throughout it's range, and quite sharp across it's range as well. So why did I say none of the above? Because I am a serious wide angle shooter, and this lens (as well as the 14-45 kit lens), suffers from noticeable barrel distortion at the widest end of it's range - Too much so, IMHO, for serious work where vertical lines at the borders need to be rendered straight. If you are not critical about freedom from distortion at the wide end, then this lens will be the best of the three you listed, for sure. This lens also is pretty darn good for close-up work, as well - but for me, I use an older, outstanding manual focus Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Macro lens for my Macro work, so I have no need for that capability from my main lens.

As for me, I found that the right answer was Olympus' excellent 11-22mm lens, which is sharp, fast, wide, and very well corrected for distortion. And with either the 40-150 or the 50-200 as a compliment, then I personally can do without the longer range of the 14-54 or 14-45. For rare instances where I need a small lens in the 28 or 50mm range, I use some of my older manual focus primes with adapters (I'm fond of a couple of older Pentax M42-mount lenses for this purpose).
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks. Iwas wondering what you may have heard re: the 18-180mm. In general, I'm skeptical of lenses with such a large zoom range.
Marc Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:34 AM   #4

I've heard that the Oly 18-180 is pretty average among lenses of that type. It's also slow. I should think that for you, the combo of the 14-54 and the 40-150 together would provide noticeably better quality overall. I'm pretty happy with the 40-150, especially for the price.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:22 AM   #5

I have only tried the 14-45 but can confirm that it is a nice and sharp lens though some say the 14-50 is sharper. You should, however, also take into account that it is cheaper and lighter than the 14-50. Spend the savings on a 35 or 50mm macro lens, both good for all round shooting and both unbelievably sharp..

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:24 AM   #6

Marc Z. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. Iwas wondering what you may have heard re: the 18-180mm. In general, I'm skeptical of lenses with such a large zoom range.
From the reports and posted shots I've seen I'd judge it's not too bad for a single walkabout lens, but you won't be blown away by the optical quality. If you can afford the cost/weight, go with multiple lenses in the various ranges. The 14-54 is great as a standard lens (also doubles as a near-macro), and the 40-150 or better, the 50-200 should be your choice for the long end.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote