Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:41 PM   #1

i posted earlier asking if i should get a demo, well i decided to go new. ordered from cameta camera, it was only $69. more than demo (after rebate) and it included an extra battery and 1 gig lexar pro compact flash card.

after i get it i will post my impressions and probably ask some questions.

thanks for the help so far. i read a lot of old posts to help me decide on the e-500. this is a great forum.

quicklook2
guicklook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:29 PM   #2

Good luck with the new camera. Hope it works out for you.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:50 PM   #3

My E-300 came in yesterday and I updated the firmware to 1.3 but the lenses are still at 1.0. Is there a firmware update for the lenses?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4

The update for the 40-150 lens is now 1.1.... but the 1.1 update will not show up for the 14-45 lens.

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5

Well, I just bought the Factory Demo 2 lens kit. This oneE-bay - # 7613127883 - auctioned for $561.90 + $19.00 (S/H/I) = $580.90 USD.

After averaging all of thecompleted auctions, 2 lens "demo"kits, I decided to limit my bid to the low side...and lucked out by biding a minute before closing.

This appears to be the lowest, or close to it, completed auction for this kit.

(hope they don't give me the worst, scratcheddemo because of it)

The Completed auctions tool on E-bay is a good way to see what the aveage selling values are for a particular item.

We'll see what kinda shape it arrives in, and I'll check the shutter count.

I'll keep ya posted.

If I coulda found just a E-500 body and the 14-54 F2.8 lens, I'd have gone for that.

Seems that the 14-54 is a little tough to find. A few dealers SAY the have it in stock.Haven't actually checked yet.

I'll probably e-bay the 2 kit lenses and get the 14-54. I'm not much of a Tele shooter.

I'd rather have wide, and the ability to go to portrait, full face lenght quickly.

Chuck
Attached Images

goflyslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:17 PM   #6

goflyslow2,

they are going to send you the camera that was in the bottom box, in the back of the showroom. just kidding with ya.

good luck on your purchase. i almost went the factory demo route, but ended up with new. it seems like a lot more because of the rebate amount, but we will probably both be happy.

good luck!

hey, i just looked at what you got and i see it was the basic hot rod/road runner option. you got the microfiber cleaning cloth and free small prints at least.

Old May 1, 2006, 12:42 AM   #7

The below hot link seems to be an excellent resource guide for the E500.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html

Also, to check how many times the Shutter has been tripped...

You can use this engineers secret service data hack
to check shutter count > power on, open the cf door
1. press play(preview)button +"ok" together
2. press the following buttons in order "up" "down" "left" "right" on the dial(navi pad) around the Ok button
3. fully press the shutter release button
4. press "up" on the dial
press "right" to page 2

R: 00XXXXXX mean shutter release count
S: 00XXXXXX unknown
M: 00XXXXXX pixel map count
U: 00XXXXXX ultrasonic wave count

I haven't got mine yet, but reading with interest.

Chuck

Digital pic with old Olympus 450 point 'n shoot and thru a lexan window
[size=2 PT]

[/size]
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2006, 12:48 PM   #8

ups just dropped of the box from cameta!

i put the battery on the charger as soon as i could.

i am so excited!

now of course it is raining out, and is supposed to all evening.

:|
Old May 7, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9

Chuck -

Consider hanging onto your two "kit" lenses even if you get the 14 - 54 mm lens for your E-500. Reason is that if you ever decide to get another Oly DSLR body (E-3 if it isever released!?!), you'll have a body with lenses to sell; it's easier to sell body and lens than just a camera body by itself. And, you can keep your 14 - 54 for that new body.

I also have an E-500 with the "kit" lenses as well as a 14 - 54. The 14 - 54 is top notch and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the kit lenses. The 40 - 150 is very nice and the 14 - 45 is no slouch either.

BTW, nice "snap" of the biplane!

Paul in NoVA
Olympus E- 500 C- 730
www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g/sets
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:24 AM   #10

Well, My "demo" E500 arrived...10 days after order from Cameta. That's not tooo bad. It was boxedin an OLYMPUS factory box imprinted with "refurbished".

The contents of Body, 2 lenses and all the peripheral was in good order.

Close inspectionof the body and lenses revealed absolutley no markings of use. Only the bodys' metal lens mount showed any sign of previous mounting of lenses with the usual turning scuff marks.

The shutter count was 37.

The Battery was totally without power, so I charged it over night and was glad to see that the charger is a "smart" charger and indicates when fully charged....stopping the charge process saves batteries.

I spent the morning reading the online
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.htmland adjusting to my preferences. This article and his USINGarticle should be printed and consulted first....before looking at the OLY manual.....it's that good.

The first few (78) pics are as advertised. The use of the camera....after settiing it up, is fairly intuitive.......for the already proficient photograher.

I did a few shots with Sunpak 422D non-dedicated flash. (you don't wanna put somebody elses dedicated flash on because the various and multiplecontacts could damage either the flash or the camera)

With the camera in full manual, setting the shuttter anywhere....up to 180/sec, and matching the F-apature to the flash output was no problem.

Zooming widethru tele on the 14-45can givevarious apatuers when at the widest setting. f3.5 This causes the obvious over and under exposure.......acceptabe, and fixable,but not correct.

I'll experiment with a flash setting of 5.6 and 8 later. Posibly there is little or minimal apeture shifting thru the zoom range there.

The on camera flashgives accurate exposures.......but of course is specular in nature, and worse, with the preflash auto focus, it slows the time between snaping the pic and the actual taking of the pic.For candids, I hate this......and just prefer a non-TTL non-dedicated auto-focus flash.

Theability to have a combined auto focusAND manual focus on the lens is GREAT.

The electronic motor manual focus on the lensseems almost natural and shold easily become comfortable with use and experience.

Ijust have to get used to NOT pushing and pulling on the lens to zoom!

Anyway, I'm happy. Good idea about saving the kit lens, thanks.

The "Demo" saved a little money.....but probably not enough to cover the "anxiety factor" of most people. I'm ambivaliant as to the merits of new vs "demo". If I had to recomend, it'd be to go new................so I wouldn't get blamed for any problems.

Chuck

Attached Images