Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:45 AM   #1

So I'm trying to help my buddy find the 14-54mm (2.8-3.5) lens and there are none on the market!

Now I also see a preview for a Panasonic camera with a very close relative 14-50mm but with what appears to be an optical stabilization switch on the side (and a "Leica" name on the front).

Do you think they are getting rid of all the 14-54mm lenses in order to bring out a newer optical stabilized lens?

Also trying to track down a 50mm F2 macro but they also seem to be rarer than hen's teeth.

Is this because these are popular? Or are they stopping manufacture? What's up?

Thanks.

olympian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator

B&H hasthe 14-54mmin stock for only $1,079.95

Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

Of course, that also includes an Olympus E-1. :-)

The 50mm f/2 Macro is going to run you a bit more:

Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know what's up with them. But, they do appear to be in short supply.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:07 AM   #3

ebay...they are there, just not all the time, they get sucked up in a heartbeat
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:02 PM   #4

:-)I just saw on http://www.rainbowtronics.com the Zuiko 14-45 lens in stock for $499.00.Phone 1-800-355-5041. I have never ordered from them, but you can call and see.

Can only cost you the time to call. This was at 6:00 P.M. today EST
tomjeff1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:05 PM   #5

:?Sorry about that info on Rainbow. I meant 14-54 Zuiko. Typed in wrong first time. They say the lens is in stock 14-54
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:42 PM   #6
Administrator

Rainbowtronics? :lol:

No address on their site that I can find.

A review at reselleratings that looks typical of the Brooklyn based scam artists (for some reason, that's where most of them are located, probably because they can get away with it there):

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller11706.html

An apparent Brooklyn Address:

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=89086

Photo of the location:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0224.htm

It's your money.Give it away if you want to. But, I'd strongly suggest reading this article by Bryan Biggers before ordering from these guys, even if it's a lens versus a camera:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:02 PM   #7

:sad:Thanks for going in to check up on this Rainbowtronics. I appreciate knowing some of the inroads you used and after reading and looking at picture of location, I would never deal with this company either.

Things are better about dealing with reputable companies in N.Y. now. I used to have to tell them that if they had item in stock, to give me the serial number and then I would give them credit info. This was many years ago. I believe in the seventies. A person is never too old to learn and I appreciate this site.

My suggestion to anyone reading my reply above is to disregard this dealer entirely.Thanks again for informing me and the other readers.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:28 PM   #8
Administrator

Most of the scammers are located in Brooklyn.

I have nothing against Brooklyn. But, for some reason they seem to be able to get away with it there. Some of these guys have been in business for years, despite victims filing report after report with the Attorney Generals office.

You see the same guys operating under more than one business name often, too. Some of the web sites look a LOT nicer than the one you mentioned, with lots of important looking logos, etc.

Some of them are caught relatively often trying to pad their own ratings in the online ratings systems you find in price search engines, too. So, you can't be too careful about looking for patterns. Some of the better known scammers even advertise in major photographypublications (and I feel confident the publishers are also aware of their "business tactics", but they probably don't want to lose the advertising revenue).

My suggestion would be to always check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

They have a better track record about recognizing bogus customer reviews and putting a stop to it compared to some of the other rating systems.

If a vendor isn't listed (or has a small number of customer reviews), I'd avoid them. Sometimes these guys startup new web sites with new business names when one of them gets a bad enough reputation. This one is a "new kid on the block".

As a general rule, they're pretty easy to spot. When an internet vendor supposedly has something in stock that nobody else does is usually a pretty good giveaway, unless they are an established "brick and mortar" dealer.

Most of the internet vendors don't even stock anything. Instead, they take orders and pass them on to distributors. The order is then drop shipped with packing slips, etc, to make it look like it came from the vendor you ordered from.

So, when one dealer is out, they are all out, because thedistributors that actually have the stock are out (except for "brick and mortar" dealers that do maintain their own stock, and the scammers). ;-)

Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:37 PM   #9

Hey! You're hijacking my thread.

Back to the lens.

'Sup?

Do you think they are going to introduce an image stabilized version? Or is it just short supply?
olympian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:01 PM   #10
Administrator

I have no idea.

But, it's not uncommon to see short supply. Take the 35-100mm f/2 as an example. It's hard to find, too.