Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2006, 8:24 AM   #1

Hi

I took the gamble and bought from Cameta Cameras an ex-display (whatever) e 500 twin lens kit on ebay. Cost $567 plus $71 overseas delivery to France plus French customs duty. The total was still much less than in the EU. I updated from a Fuji s7000. Everything in kit looked unused. I am a novice so have been using full auto with mixed results. Most of the time I get excellent shots, but then in same conditions I get over exposed shots. Is this a fault or have I missed something?

Regards

Sean
seanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 8:55 AM   #2

It has been mentioned in at least a couple reviews I've seenof this camera that the sensor has no "shoulder" or ability to hold detail on the far end of thehighlight side of the image, meaning you need to be careful to not overexpose your images. Truth is that applies to all digital cameras- overexposure is the last thing you want to be doing with any dSLR's or digicams, but the E-500 just seems to be slightly more prone to blown highlights if you aren't careful in making your exposure.

Sometimes it doesn't take but just the slightest compositionaladjustment to completely change the metering of certain scenes, and add to that the fact that ESP metering, while excellent, is still just like any other multi-segment metering system- you never quite know what part of the scene isbeing given priority in the determination of exposure. If you want to be sure you know what part of the scene you are metering you might want to change the metering to centerweighted for a while and see how that works. At least you can control what part of the subject is being given priority as far as metering goes.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 6:33 PM   #3

Thanks Greg for such a quick and helpful reply. It's early days yet and I have a lot of experimenting to do. Only discovered forum today which was a bit slow of me. I knew of Steve's Camera Reviews and bought the e500 on the basis of his review.

Reagrds

Sean
Old May 16, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4

I agree with the above. Generally I set the exposure compensation to -1/3 on my e-300.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 2:29 PM   #5

two more sources for info on e-500 or olympus cameras:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022

www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e

good luck with your new camera.
guicklook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 6:50 PM   #6

Many thanks. There is no shortage of information on camera and accessory forums.

I have used car forums and the difference in knowledge base (in favour of the camera ones) is very marked.

Sean
Old May 19, 2006, 3:34 PM   #7

The E-300 was criticised for giving underexposed shots frequently. Seems they may have over-compensated for it when they built the E-500. However, I use spot metering on my E-500 and don't get overexposure. I think that's best in most situations. When you own an SLR for the first time, you need to experiment with various settings to see what's best. Don't stick it on auto or program and leave it there, any cheap pocket digicam can do that.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote