Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 26, 2006, 4:55 PM   #1

I'm new to DSLRs. I purchased a new E-500 the other day, and it had to sit in the box in my vehicle all day long in the Texas heat while I was at work. I read the heat warning in the manual, and I wondered if this situation was enough to cause damage. While I certainly wouldn't want to leave it on the dashboard in direct sunlight, tt seems to me that such a device would be built to withstand the heat of the day in a car.

Should I be worried about damage?
Gern Blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 7:08 AM   #2

There is a temperature range specified near the back of your manual. In the E-300 manual for storage it's -20°C (-4°F) to 60°C (140°F) (the E-500 specs may be different). It is possible for a closed car to reach those temperatures if the outside temperatures is hot and the car is in a sunny location.

Did you do damage? Unfortunately websites don't say what damage can be done to digital cameras, they only say it will fog film.

If you need to keep your camera in the car, one tip I've read is to keep it in a cooler (WITHOUT ice!).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 2:19 PM   #3

I live in Dallas.....no way in bloody heck do I leave my camera in the car during the day from the end of April until the end of October.

If you continue to leave it in there, yes, I would expect it to develope problems if not just plain die on you at some point.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 9:14 PM   #4

Living here in the Desert near Palm Springs it getsreally hot. I have my camera with me 24/7 and would never consider leaving it in the car during the summer. If nothing else I would not want someone to steal it out of my car. Find someplace at work to keep it inside.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I will return the one that I just purchased and get a new replacement. I don't want to take any chances on my brand new camera.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:17 PM   #6

Gern Blanston wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will return the one that I just purchased and get a new replacement. I don't want to take any chances on my brand new camera.
i do not like that idea at all.

if something is wrong and you return it without saying anything , than someone else may buy that camera.

it may or may not have harmed camera. you need to find out if any damage was done.

you need to have it repaired if it was harmed.

taking responsibility is the best policy.

do the right thing.
guicklook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7

Costco won't resell any camera that has been used.