Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 31, 2006, 8:42 PM   #1

I have my Evolt 500 that I got this past week from Amazon for $709 with the 2 lens kit. Out of the box it worked ok. I could never figure out how to get manual focus to work in the store or when I got mine, but Auto worked fine and I was content with that and really had not alot of time to play with it. Well a few days after having it, I can no longer even Auto focus the camera. Something is majorly Wrong!

I called Support...they said to upgrade the firmware....WTF....I could have told them, that wouldnt have any effect and I was right. I have not used a SLR since My old manual Minolta T series, so I had some learning curve with all the digital shit to learn. Im VERY disappointed. I couldnt wait to get this camera now Olympus tells me to send it in for repair AT MY EXPENSE!. So I now wonder if I should just return it to Amazon for 1) another Evolt 2) maybe a Pentax K100....I liked the big viewfinder and ease of use on the *ist. Olympus had more features and really liked the design and wavecleaner. But Im having my doubts now and prices seem like they might keep falling. I think I might be better off with a new camera than sending it in to be fixed. Anyone have similar issues?...my manual dial does nothing.
Oly500Enewuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:38 AM   #2

Quote:
I have my Evolt 500 that I got this past week from Amazon for $709 with the 2 lens kit. Out of the box it worked ok. I could never figure out how to get manual focus to work in the store or when I got mine, but Auto worked fine and I was content with that and really had not alot of time to play with it. Well a few days after having it, I can no longer even Auto focus the camera. Something is majorly Wrong!
You wouldn't believe how many times this comes up. When you can't auto focus do you see a "---" where the F-stop should be displayed? Then it's an issue of you not attaching the lens properly.

If you put on the lens while holding down the release button the lens can be turned PAST the locking point. The locking pin has to be engaged in order for the lens to work...when the locking pin isn't engage the lens won't focus and you'll see a "---" where the F-stop is normally displayed.

When this happens try turning the lens back as if you were trying to remove the lens, WITHOUT holding down the lens release...you will find the lens will turn a bit and then the locking pin will lock.
The lens release button is for just that, not for attaching the lens.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:39 AM   #3

I will try it again after work, but I dont recall ever pushing the lock button to put a lens on, but perhaps they didnt line up and lock properly nonetheless. I hope it is something that simple.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:30 PM   #4

Just about every E-system user has gone through this...don't know how many times I've had to post that reply in forums. I've always had the habit of turning the lens in the opposite direction to make sure it's locked.

At first when this problem surfaced everyone thought it was dirty contacts, but once playing with the release button with the camera on the answer was found. I guess the idea was that if the lens isn't locked properly it wouldn't work warning you that it wasn't attached properly, but for new users it causes panic.

Unfortunately they don't explain this well in the manual...in fact the only place I really see the lens talked about is in the "Quick Start Guide", "Rotate the lens clockwise until you hear it click." Of course if you attach the lens while holding down the release button you will never hear it click and turn the lens too far, and the lens wouldn't work.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:53 PM   #5

Great!...You were correct. I must not have had the lens on secure enough. It made logical sense after thinking about it. I was freaking out for nothing. Thanks for your help. You would think the Olympus "techs" I called would have walked me through a few "ID10T" possibilities before asking me to mail it in. Wheeew. I had started shopping all over again.