Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:09 AM   #1

I have a e-300. Has anybody had any experience with these? I am interested in using the bulb function and am wondering if both of these remotes will allow the shutter to stay open for a extended periods of time.

Although the cable (RM-CB1) requires the HLD-3 may be a better option as it has more battery power - which I have heard one of the biggest problem with digital slr's for taking long extended photo's is the battery can run out????

Also would the rm-1 be able to do the same function - obviously I don't want to stand there with my finger on the button (though this option is quite cheaper)

Any help with the above issues would be greatly appreciated....
staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:35 AM   #2

Unforunately on the E-300 to use the bulb function you only have one remote choice, the cable (RM-CB1)...and that means you have to purchace the HLD-3 in order to use the cable.

As for battery power, you do get more shots but you also add weight (although you could use the HLD-3 with only one battery if you wanted to). When new you can get 400 shots on one charge.

The RM-1 can only be used for bulb function on the E-500 (since there's no cable option)...on it you press one button to open the shutter and a second button to close the shutter (otherwise you'd see the light from the remote in the image); but this is a moot point since you own the E-300.

Just for reference I own an E-300 with HLD-3 and RM-1, and have been thinking about getting the RM-CB1 to do some remote bulb shooting.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:50 AM   #3

With the RM-1 on the e-300, you can 1) trigger the shutter (bulb mode not supported) and 2) use it as remote control to get the next picture when displaying them on a TV.

Since the zoom is manual, you cannot use the W/T buttons for zoom.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys,

For what I really want to do I have to buy the hld-3 and the rm-cb1. I see a hld-3 on ebay for 94.95 US (approx 127.93 Aust) Would this be a fair price? or are there better sites than ebay?

Both the remote and the cable are fairly well priced 15to 20 dollars each.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:34 AM   #5

Check out a store like B&H for HLD-3 prices, they normally sell it for $100 but when you add it to the shopping basket you'll get a lower price which is the same price as the eBay one.

As for the cable remote prices, if you find it that cheap it's a good price, as the cable costs almost double of the wireless remote.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:36 AM   #6

I was in the camera shop today - browsing over the olympic hardware when I noticed a e-300 with a hld-3 connected to it - asking the assistant who informed me they were on sale this month (Camera House). Well I bought it for $100 Australian - thanks again for the advice now to acquire the cable release

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"