Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:21 PM   #1

I want to purchase an additional lens for my E-500 (I got the 2 lens kit). What is a good all around lens for me. What about "prime" lens? Should I stick only with olympus?
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2

Can no more tell you what lens to buy next, than to tell you what vehicle you should buy next (2 door, 4 door, pickup, minivan, van, motorcycle, etc)...at least not without you saying what you want to shoot.

Someone who shoots birds may want more telephoto. Someone who shoots archetecture may want more wide angle.

The choices you have are Olympus 4/3, Sigma 4/3, or manual lenses (requires an adapter). Here's a list of Olympus and Sigma lenses that are out, or will be coming out in the next few months:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html

Note that lenses with large ranges (18-180mm, 50-500mm) may be softer, and also look at the F-stop range to make sure you aren't getting a lens with a large Fnumber.

While you're at the above link, check out that site's other Olympus E-system articles at:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:25 PM   #3

Thanks so much...I really don't know what I want to shoot yet, righ now I am shooting Assateague Island on Chincoteague, Va. I am new to dslrs...but I like to look at pictures that call forth an emotional response. I like drama. I am working my way thru Bryan Peterson's books and thinking about taking an online course of his...don't know yet.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

Suggest you get more practice first with what you got and learn its limits. When you get to that point, you might have an idea what to get next. Just some of the categories of lens:

Fisheye, super-wide, wide, normal (human eye), telephoto, extreme telephoto...then there's macro. Each lens has it's use.

And then there's specialized lenses like the Lensbaby, which allows you to have part of the image in focus and part out of focus.

Primes may be the sharpest, but you are limited to that focal length...it's ok for someone say shooting portraits, or requires that particular focal length, but personally I prefer the freedom of a zoom.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:22 PM   #5

I am also new to the DSLR world, and I just* added the* Olympus 4/3 system 35mm macro lens* to my inventory, and I'm quite pleased.* Not only is it a pretty decent fixed focal length lens (70mm equivalent, of course), but I'm finding that real closeup pictures can be just as dramatic as any telephoto or action shot with long lenses.* I guess it's whatever "floats your boat".* This lens is downright cheap compared to the* most of the other lenses available.* I'll try to send a few examples later.* The ones I've printed out are too big to send as they are.
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:50 PM   #6

Thanks, would appreciate seeing your pictures...D ann
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7

If you don't know what you need for more lenses, you don't need any more lenses. IMHO, what you need to do is shoot with what you have, and come to your own decision about what you are trying to accomplish photographically that is in any way limited by your present setup.

I might suggest, before you get another lens, might I suggest, a good tripod, and a good flash setup, assuming that you haven't got either yet. In any case, I would say that you don't need any new gear, until you discover what it is that you wish to shoot, and that your current gear cannot handle sufficiently. And then, the answer to your question will become apparent to you.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:31 AM   #8

Thanks for your advice. I am using the longer lens that came in my E-500 kit most of the time. The shorter lens (14-45) doesn't seem as sharp all the way thru the picture when I want more dept of field. I did buy a tripod and get way better pics with that, just hate the hassle of it. So far I need nothing more than the flash on the camera. I don't like the way my flash pics look anyway...maybe I need to throttle it down a bit. I am keeping in my pocket a fuji F10 and I have had great fun with that little camera. Does well in low light and the color is great. d ann
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:22 PM   #9

here is a macrophotograph using the 35mm macro lens.* Note that this was taken inside, using natural sunlight.* I tried taking this "in the wild" but a slight breeze drove the autofocus nuts.* *Next time, I'll try it using Manual Focus bracketing (see pg 74 in the manual).[img]file://localhost/Users/dand/Desktop/lupine%20os%202.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:22 PM   #10

The autofocus on the 35mm is actually fast enough to work even if there is a bit of a breeze, but macro lenses (like tele lenses) very unforgiving so it takes a bit of practice. The attached photo is unprocessed apart from the size change.

Attached Images

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote