Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2006, 4:46 PM   #1

It seems like every picture I take is underexposed indoors & out. Does anyone else have this issue?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 5:12 PM   #2

Many in the past have had issues with this cameras exposure system. I recently returned from 12 days in Paris, France, with these images I took with my E-300:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1547796

Digital SLR's are much more dependent of user knowledge than point & shoot digicams. That said, I also think this camera demands even more care in use than many other digital SLR's when it comes to metering modes. When I first started out testing my E-300 I verified that it had the latest firmware installed, as one of those firmware adjustments was supposed to address the metering issue. I still noted some issues outdoors even with the firmware adjustments loadedwhere scenes were underexposed with the metering set to ESP.

ESP metering, like everyone elses multi zone systems, can be a mystery as to what is being metered because the entire scene is being used. What part, if any, is being given priority? Fairly quickly into my use of the E-300 I switched my metering with this camera to centerweight for outdoor shots and, assuming I make sure I'm metering what I want to be given priority, most everything I shoot comes out fine.

Indoors,I almost exclusively shot in spot metering mode where I used no flash. I picked an area to meter and based on whether that area was brighter or darker, I dialed in an appropriate amount of exposure compensation which you will see in the exif information of each indoor image. For flash shots indoors, I almost always have flash exposure compensation set to +.7 stops with some exceptions.

TheE-300 will produce excellent results, but I do not beleive you can rely on just setting the metering to ESP and get the best results in many situations.

Attached image: Eiffel Tower, taken with E-300 and 7-14 Zuiko at 7mm.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:31 PM   #3

Considering it's every picture, check to see if your exposure compensation is set to anything but "0" (you probably have it set to a negative number).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:38 PM   #4

Greg, that's a great shot of the Eiffel Tower. It's not every day that one sees a genuinely unique take on one of the most commonly photographed icons in the world.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:42 PM   #5

It is set at 0. Are you +.7 the flash output or the exposure value? Thanks for the tips.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:57 PM   #6

Flash output only, via the menu system. I also do play quite a bit with exposure compensation for the ambient light depending on the situation, but where I mentioned +.7 aboveit was for flash only. As I also mentioned though, that is not a number set in stone for everything. Play with the settings. Take pictures, change settings and see what the results look like on your LCD. Someone can learn today with a digital SLR in 6 months what I spent years and tons of money on film trying to figure out.

Thank you for the comment Doug about the Tower. I had more fun with the 7-14 lens on that trip. The other two lenses I tookgot more than their share of use too, but the 7-14 is unique. I loved just taking it to places like that and those big cathedrals and just pointing it everywhere to just see what it would cover. My girlfriend would snap away with herDigital Elph, taking a 5 image stitch of something & I'ddo one shot and say "are you trying to do this?".
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:41 AM   #7

You might also try resetting the camera's defaults, just to make sure there's nothing else changed. I have great results on ESP with the E-300, but I also mentally take into consideration the conditions of the scene in terms of highlights and shadows, and make adjustments accordingly. Every camera requires some degree of compensation depending on the lighting, so I think you basically need to learn how to use the adjustments on the camera to get the results you want.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:22 PM   #8

Boys day.... Yeah!
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote