Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:33 PM   #11

Adapter problems aside, mirror lenses oftengive afunky out of focus effect,somethingoften referred to asthe "doughnut effect":

http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/lenstec5.htm

Think seriously about whether you really want to use one of these for anything other than just fun shots to see what you can get. Here is one nice example I justsaw with a 500mm mirrorlens and 2x extender:

http://myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=25551

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:29 PM   #12

I'm not a professional photographer...heck, I'm not even a good photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so any shots I take would be fun shots.

The only shots I really concern myself with are when I sell stuff on eBay.
mksmith713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:53 AM   #13

You can certainly use mirrored lenses, but as Greg says above, the bokeh (the out of focus part of the picture) can be terrible. However, if you want to do the occasional walkabout shooting as opposed to sit-down-and-wait-at-your-tripod shooting, the lens must be short, light and probably not longer than some 300mm - even then it is difficult to get knifesharp photos.

Most people will find that long tele lenses are not for them: it is difficult and demanding and a tripod is probably a must with any tele lens; a Tamron lens is a cheap way of getting introduced to that kind of shooting. I anyway enjoy trying my hand on tele photo a couple of times a year and while I have a couple of photos I like, I don't really have anything really impressive (yet!).

The 350mm BTW also doubles as a macro but note that it is no competitor to true macro lenses.

Apart from the bokeh problem: it is not always easy to focus with any manual lens on an e-300 (I am comparing with my OM cameras).

If you buy a Tamron like mine, note that you need a Tamron adapter to a camera (Olympus, Nikon etc) and a 4/3 adapter that fits that camera.

A shame that Olympus hasn't made a cheap 300mm ED lens.

Thanks to Greg for the inspiring link! I may one day soon dust off the 500mm and a tripod and drive off to a marsh area.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:12 AM   #14

Most of the shooting I'll do will be walk about shooting.

I love to hike and shoot whatever presents itself.

It may be a bird or some other form of wildlife that requires a loooooong reach, then again, it may be some sort of foligae that I can simply swap out lenses and shoot closer.

mksmith713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 1:01 PM   #15

Don't know where you got the idea there are 4/3rds adaptors for most lenses. I thought the only 4/3rds adaptor available was for the Olympus 'OM' lenses?
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:10 AM   #16

Check this out for adapters for a number of systems: http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

I don't know anything about this company as I have been an OM user since the late 70ies and therefore only have OM lenses. I got my OM-adapter from Olympus for free when I bought my camera.

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:19 AM   #17

Also check out this site, lots of info about using manual lenses on 4/3 cameras:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

For fun I just got a 80-200mm OM with a 2x teleconverter, which would give me a range of 160-800mm.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:56 PM   #18

Wow, 80-200mm sounds like a dream!

Something like this? Looks like a nice size.

Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:08 AM   #19

I tried a loaner Olympus 50-200mm 4/3 lens, and it was just too heavy (especially handheld). I can easily handle the OM lens handheld.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:54 AM   #20

The cost of the four-thirds adapter (plus shipping) is around $200US, so unless you already have suitable lenses or can find some very cheap s/h ones, the adapter is a pointless route to take. Even ifI had the lenses to adapt, I couldn't live with the restrictions it imposes as regards focusing and exposure. Four-thirds lenses only for me thank you!
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote