Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:09 AM   #1

I recently obtained a Nikon MF AI 300mm f4.5lens, and itsheavy. It has a tripod mount,i'mwondering if i also have to support my Oly evolt-330 and how?:?

I recently started in photography,but wanted to get some close images without the worry of lens being ripped fromcamera body during takes.

Any suggestions or tips? :idea:

jdc_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:50 AM   #2

If the lens itself has a mount or tripod collar, then that's how you should support the assembly...the body of the camera itself doesn't weigh so much, so it's not an issue.

If the lens doesn't weigh much then you use the tripod socket on the camera, but in your case since the lens weighs much more than the camera you should support the lens instead.

It's the same with Olympus lenses like this one:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_300mm.asp
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:57 AM   #3

There were a few versions of this lens, the best being the EDIF version that had a skinny barrell & loose focus ring. The lens focused internally and had a very close (for 300mm, for it's day) focus distance of around 7-8 feet and was fairly light.

It sounds like you have an earlier version that extendsas it isfocussed, is not necessarily a lightweight and has a close focus distance of around 11-13 feet. The one example I've owned of that lens also wasn't the most sharp 300mm I ever tried and was fairly heavy. I would never support this outfit by holding the body only. You need to support the lens by holding it with your left hand underneath, near the focus ring. I also would do most of my shooting with it around f8 or so. It never was great on a Nikon body it was designed for, so I can only imagine via an adapter it won't be at it's "best" at f4.5.

Hopefullythis lens you havewas pretty inexpensive, as the EDIF version is available for around $300-$400 these days. I'm actually considering buying a Nikon 300mm lens myself as the Olympus model mentioned above is only a pipe dream for me, but I am going to spend a few more $$.User manual focus 300mm f2.8 manual focusNikkors are popping up for sale in the $700-$800 range and that's the ideal lens for this type shooting. Internal focus lenses (IF) are very loose in use andhavefar less a distance to turn between maximum andminimum focus distanceso they can be fairly fast to use and, more importantly, they gather much more light to make focussing on the evolts screen much easier.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:09 PM   #4

Thanks :-)for the fast responce, actually this lens is one of the first manual focus AI in the 300mm Nikon series. I obtainedit on ebay for $160.00. I wanted to tryan inexpensive lens at this time, because the oly 300mm is too expensive for me at the moment.

I am hoping to get some close decent practiceimage shotswith this lens. I'm concern aboutyour statement of poorsharpnessperformence oflens.
I'll try it around f8 and work from there, learning and testing it.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5

i will also try supporting the lens with it's tripod adapter to tripod. Thenattaching camera and4/3 adapter to lens for more stable shots.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

I love this site on Nikkors:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...hoto/300mm.htm

There are tabs at the bottom regarding every type 300 Nikon's ever made. You'll probably get some good images with the one you have, it'll just take some working out the details as to how you can hold it for optimum results and where the "sweet spot" in the aperture scale is, but my guess is it'll be either f5.6 or f8.

Have fun with it...that's the name of the game!

Greg
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:05 PM   #7

Thanks again :-)for thesite information, i did find additional and helpful information on mylens at the site.

When i get a handle on the focusing of the lens, i will post some images.