Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

Just graduated from my Kodak DX 6490 to my first DSLR. I purchased the Olympus Evolt E-500 two lens kit from B&H Photo. I spent several months reviewing theCanons and Nikons. Even looked at the Pentex brand. I feel that for my dollar and purpose (Birding) I chose the best I could afford. Rather than asking what kind of Telephoto lens I should buy I think I will learn this camera first then ask. For now what can I expect after the package arrives in 5-7 days?

Thank You ,

Jim
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

great choice mate... while i am still using the e-300 I have several bodys/lenses and I can swap mounts without swapping lenses... this would not have been possible wiht the much more expensive cannons and nikons. I LOVE my evolt, it takes s bit of studying to get it totally down though, and the little issues that come up are almost always due to the fact that I am not knowledgable enough to use the correct settings.

take care and good shooting
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Schu. I am excited and can't wait to get it.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:36 AM   #4

You will undoubtedly miss the 10 times zoom and probably very good macro facilities the Kodak seems to have. The Kodak is everything-in-a-single-package - undoubtedly a great camera for holidays where you don't wan't to carry too much stuff around.

But don't worry - you have made a good choice in the longer run as you - apart from more wide angle (28mm instead of the Kodak's 38mm makes a lot of dfference) - will gain flexibility and quality. You will find that the two kit-lenses have no macro facilities. If you add a macro lens, you will find that this will deliver far better resolution than the Kodak (as it should, being a dedicated macro lens). Any of the e-cameras with the two kit lenses should outperform the Kodak with ease once you get used to the camera.

Good luck with it!

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5

The E-500 is a terrific camera and the two lens kit is the best value in the DSLR world...period. You can't get more for your money.

I've had my E-500 for about5 weeks and I've taken over 700 pictures. Five weeks of camera ownership doesn't qualify me as the world's DSLR authority but I still own seven film SLRs from Nikon F3's to a Bronica ETR. I also own a couple of enlargers and did my own darkroom work from the time I was 12 years old (1970). I've been through 4 other digital cameras on my journey to the E-500. So I didn't just fall off the camera truck .

First thing when you get the camera: charge the battery. Battery performance in this camera is exceptional...but that initial charge takes a few hours. So let it charge while you read the manual. Make sure you have a decent CF card ready to go.

Initial camera set up is minimal. Truth be told, I took my first pictures before I did ANY set up. I put in the battery, put in the card, turned on the camera, took a picture. My new Sandisk card didn't even need formatting. But after that intial fooling around period, you'll want to at least set the time so that the files will have a proper date stamp. You'll probably want to make adjustments to sharpness and color saturation but that's no pressing issue.

I've had NO problems. Zero. Usually, if an issue pops up, it can be traced to me accidentally hitting a button and enabling a function that I didn't know about (sooner or later, every E-500 owner accidentally hits the display button that causes highlights to flash in the LCD and they think something is wrong).

The 14-45mm kits lens is a very good lens. The 40-150 is wonderful...I'd buy one even if it didn't come with the kit. I just got the 50mm F2 macro and it's superb.

You have made the correct choice.

I sometimes get a bit dissapointed that Olympus gets so little mention in the "what camera should I buy" threads. People have tunnel vision about narrowing things down to Nikon and Canon. I even did that. I've owned Canons and Nikons...they are super cameras. But I went DSLR shopping with the rule of "NO PRECONCEPTIONS". I gave every brand an equal chance to impress me.

The E-500 was the winner in my book.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

Wow, thank you everyone. Great replies and encouragement. Now I'm like a little child the night before Christmas. Like the poster said in another thread, I can't wait to post some pics. With my Kodak I have taken approx 4K photos with 99% of them in the manual mode so I have had plenty of practice. Now just to refine that with the Olympus.

Thanks again.

Jim