Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:44 AM   #11

Hi Brent ~ sorry that it took as long as it did, getting back to you, but I was not permitted to re-post anything in this thread (the 'hourglass' would always join the 'mouse pointer' whenever I made a trip back here, and would not leave until I journeyed elsewhere) since my last offering - until just now.

Thanks for the Auto Focus Illuminator disabling, that you led me to. Impatience is not a good thing, as it can give rise to blind-sightedness (such as it was in my case), and I am really trying to be big enough :-) to tear myself away from my camera long enough to peruse the manual a little better. Some E500 owners have shared how they had gotten excellent shots, on automatic settings - before even opening the manual. This hasn't been the case with me. I have taken a few good shots, but none which didn't need a little attention in Photoshop (sharpness/color correction). I don't know enough, yet, to feel in any way comfortable about shooting in manual mode, so all of my shooting has been done with the embedded automatic/scene settings. But I have seen the quality that can be produced with the E500, which lets me know that the problem is either within my getting hold of a defective unit - or that I might have, inadvertantly, changed a setting, or two (or three) while exploring through it. It is - more than likely - the latter which is the real deal. One thing: how do I go about entering the "Custom Reset Setting" area, under "Card Setup" in the 'menu' window? My chevron will skip right over it when I try to access it (probably something else that I may have missed in the manual, also).

I do not, in any way, regret buying this camera - and know that I will eventually have it down to where I am shooting some fantastic shots, with this very nice piece of equipment.

Blessings,

Nathan
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................
P.S. Don't know why I wasn't able to position my response to your quote below your quote.

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
The strobing flash is the Auto Focus illuminator function. There is a menu selection that will allow you to turn it off (the factory default is "On"). Of course, turning off the AF illuminator may lead to focus lock difficulty in low light situation but I've done limited LL work so I can't speak with authority.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to post a test photo to see if I understand how things work here. The photo has been resized to 640x480 as per instructions. Why I would post THIS photo is beyond me...I guess it's late and I'm in strange mood. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing pretty red flowers! E-500 with the 50mmF2 macro:

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:29 AM   #12

I have taken a few good shots, but none which didn't need a little attention in Photoshop (sharpness/color correction). I don't know enough, yet, to feel in any way comfortable about shooting in manual mode, so all of my shooting has been done with the embedded automatic/scene settings. But I have seen the quality that can be produced with the E500, which lets me know that the problem is either within my getting hold of a defective unit - or that I might have, inadvertantly, changed a setting, or two (or three) while exploring through it. It is - more than likely - the latter which is the real deal.

One thing: how do I go about entering the "Custom Reset Setting" area, under "Card Setup" in the 'menu' window? My chevron will skip right over it when I try to access it (probably something else that I may have missed in the manual, also).

The menu system in the E-500 isn't exactly intuitive. Things have to be done in a specific order...unlike, let's say, the onscreen menu for a DVD.

In order to acces "Custom Reset Setting", you must FIRST move the chevron directly to the right to the "Card Setup" entry. NEXT you can move it down to "Custom Reset Setting". That should allow you to access the correct area.

As I say, that's not intuitive. The natural tendancy would be to try and first move the Chevron down until it's beside the selection you want and then move it right. but that won't work. So its: FIRST move the Chevron right, NEXT move it down.

On other kinds of menus (like the DVD I used as and example), you can move the pointer freely over the screen to your selection. But in the E-500, it must be done in a specific order.

Regarding Picture Quality: Even though I've been an "old hand" at photography since I was kid, I always test a new camera under very controlled conditions. Before venturing into low light or action shots, I take pictures of well defined subjects under daylight conditions...with a tripod if available.

The first pictures I took were of a pot of flowers placed on a wooden chair in bright sunlight. I used a tripod. I had a colorful subject with lots of lighting (normal daylight), lots of contrast and a stable camera. That will guarantee that your camera is working correctly. If you are doing hand held shots under weak light or artifical light, there is much room for variables to degrade your image. Now, there's nothing wrong with shooting under those conditions but they are a poor test of a new camera.

With the E-500 zooms, it's very easy for people to forget the 2X multiplcation factor and the slightly slow nature of the lenses. You can easily find yourself trying to handhold a lens which is set to a medium telephoto range with the camera trying to open the lens wide to an unsharp F-stop and a slow shutter speed...recipe for disaster.

So go out on a bright sunny day and take pictures of contrasty subjects...either with a tripod or try bracing yourself against an object. That's just to make sure everything works Ok. Once you know it works, then you can get a bit more creative.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:59 AM   #13

ONE MORE THING

When you turn your camera on, actually READ the "Info" in the LCD to make sure that the camera settings make sense.

I had an incident where I had taken a number of airplane pictures near the local airport. It was a bright sunny day. When I checked my pictures on the computer, they were all fine EXCEPT for that last two or three which had a sickly warm tint.

I couldn't figure it out. But when I checked the EXIF info using the Olympus Master software, I discovered the last few pictures had been shot under a different White Balance setting! Now, I did NOT purposely change the White Balance but the one touch White Balance button falls easily under my hand and I'm constantly hitting buttons by accident. That's generally harmless but SOMEHOW I managed to change a setting and it took. When I turned on the camera, I read the info and, sure enough, an odd WB setting had been entered. That would have screwed up a lot of pictures if I hand't realized it.

So, if you have picture quality problems, read the EXIF and read the camera info. You might find something out of whack.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #14

Brent wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>The menu system in the E-500 isn't exactly intuitive. Things have to be done in a specific order...unlike, let's say, the onscreen menu for a DVD.

In order to acces "Custom Reset Setting", you must FIRST move the chevron directly to the right to the "Card Setup" entry. NEXT you can move it down to "Custom Reset Setting". That should allow you to access the correct area.
<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<

Hey Brent,

I think that there may be something wrong with my E-500's menu. Yes, I know to go to the right side of the icons - where one can access the 'Card Setup', as well as the 'Custom Reset Setting", 'Picture Mode' 'Gradation' and picture quality box. All of these rectangular boxes will allow some type of access, except for my "Custom Reset Setting" box. When I attempt to navigate there, my chevron will jump from 'Card Setup' to 'Picture Mode'.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:51 PM   #15

NLAlston wrote:
Quote:
Hey Brent,

I think that there may be something wrong with my E-500's menu. Yes, I know to go to the right side of the icons - where one can access the 'Card Setup', as well as the 'Custom Reset Setting", 'Picture Mode' 'Gradation' and picture quality box. All of these rectangular boxes will allow some type of access, except for my "Custom Reset Setting" box. When I attempt to navigate there, my chevron will jump from 'Card Setup' to 'Picture Mode'.

Not to worry. There's nothing wrong with your menu.

I just tried it myself and I was able to duplicate your problem.

I found exactly the same behaviour (cursor skips right over Custom Reset Setting and goes to picture mode) when I had the camera set on Auto. When I set the camera to "A" (aperature priority) where I had previously made adjustments, I was able to access the Custom Reset Setting.

Obviously, I can't check all the various permutations. But it does appear to be perfectly normal that you can't access Custom Reset Setting from certain modes. So I wouldn't sweat it.

It may be that the function is automatically disabled in certain modes or may be disabled if you are in a mode that is still set to the factory defaults. It looks like nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:37 PM   #16

Brent - That is a HUGE relief. And thanks, pal.

Nathan