Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1

After much questioning, browsing about, and doing as much research as I could - I finally made my DSLR purchase, and it was (just yesterday evening) the E-Volt 500. I let the battery charge, overnight, and just now (this afternoon) set it up to take a few pictures. All I can say is...NICE!!

The only thing that bothers me about this camera is the fact that the LCD screen seems to remain lit during operation. I don't like this, because of the battery drain that this poses, and also because of the distracting light to my eye when shooting some shots. I have made a quick search through the manual, but could find nothing regarding settings for the LCD screen. If this can't be changed, I may have to take this camera back, and opt for another (though I won't be able to find the value for the same dollar amount). Please let me know if there is indeed a setting by which to change the on-time LCD display, or whether it can be deactivated altogether - and called up when only a file/photo display is desired.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:52 PM   #2

Keep pressing the "Info" button as described in step "2" on Page 20 of the manual.

If your camera is functionaing normally (and I expect it is), that should turn off the LCD.

1 press = Normal LCD display

2 presses = Detailed LCD display

3 presses = LCD display OFF
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:59 PM   #3

I hope you enjoy the 500 as much as the rest of us. You don't say what the LCD is showing. If it's the menu list, push the menu button to turn off the screen. If it's the last photo taken with the histogram, etc., push the info button a few times until the screen turns off. If it's just a review of the pictures, push the green arrow to turn off the screen. Since I'm still a semi-newbie, I'm sure that someone else will jump in and give you the exact specifics on each option.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:38 PM   #4

Peteix & Brent ~ thanks.

At one point it was the histogram remaining up, then - at another point - it was the last photo which had been shot. To be absolutely honest, I had hoped that it could be set for the screen to remain blank, without showing the last photo taken - until such time as a viewing was required, and screen activation was called up. I understand that some DSLR's incorporate this type setting but, apparently, the EVolt 500 doesn't. It is not really a super biggie, though. All in all, I am liking this camera a whole lot. I don't know what the shutter life is, but - whatever that mean number is - I have no doubt that I will reach it rather quick :-) (I like shooting just THAT much). I also can't wait until I am able to post some photos. This is my first DSLR (or SLR type camera, period) and there is some learning involved. But learn it - I will.

Thanks again.

Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:25 PM   #5

The most comprehensive source for information on the E-500 is**http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html* It has been invaluable to me for setting up my camera and learning the functions in a well organized manner. I'm sure that you will find it interesting reading.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanks, Petepix.

Everything that I can get my hands on, about this camera, will prove to be very helpful, and I will be grabbing that info just as soon as I finish this to you. My brother's band was rehearsing at a theater, earler tonight, and he asked if I would consider taking a few pics of them. I thought that it would be nice to give it a go (as the rain prevented me from getting some night shots of Niagara Falls. While shooting at the theater, I couldn't seem to escape the 'strobing' flash, which didn't enable the pictures to be taken until a few good seconds after activating the shutter button. In no way am I registering a complaint, just giving notice that there is much that I have to learn about this camera :-) (and not just this camera, as I am sure that the same would apply to any DSLR operation).

All I know is that I finally have a very capable piece of photographic equipment in my hands, now, and I intend to generate some income with it before long. With my woodworking skills, and love for photography, it will soon just be a matter of my selecting some nice shots for prints, that I will custom mat/frame & sell. At the very least, I will derive much pleasure out of doing it.

Blessings,

Nathan

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:03 AM   #7

Petepix,

This is what I encountered when I tried to get that info:
.................................................. .................................................. .......................
Document not found
The Web page or other document you've requested does not exist on this site, or maybe it has been moved. Are sure you've typed the name right? Use the links below to navigate around and to find what you need. Or use this link to do a local search for the subject you wanted to find.
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:18 AM   #8

There's some odd characters added to the above link, it should be:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

Again it's one of the best E-system links out there!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:33 AM   #9

Thanks Mike,

I got it this time :-).

Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:30 AM   #10

The strobing flash is the Auto Focus illuminator function. There is a menu selection that will allow you to turn it off (the factory default is "On"). Of course, turning off the AF illuminator may lead to focus lock difficulty in low light situation but I've done limited LL work so I can't speak with authority.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to post a test photo to see if I understand how things work here. The photo has been resized to 640x480 as per instructions. Why I would post THIS photo is beyond me...I guess it's late and I'm in strange mood. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing pretty red flowers! E-500 with the 50mmF2 macro:

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote