Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:51 PM   #1

Hi again,

Once I get through the ins & outs of my E-500, what is the largest poster-sized print that I can expect to get? I bought this camera for the main purpose of shooting prints, matting & framing them for sale. Hopefully, I could reach 20"x30" sizes. It's not that I would be printing out that size, on a regular basis, but it would be nice to know that such sizes would be available from this camera.

Thanks in advance for input.

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:10 PM   #2

8 megapixels is quite a bit of resolution. In all honesty, Olympus, based on today's technology will have a hard time going many more pixels and keeping noise in check- one of the reason's why, I'm sure, the E-1 replacement has been so long in coming.

Native resolution of yuour cameras' sensoris just one part of the equation, with one other big thing to take into consideration being theviewing distance of your prints. People hold a 4x6 print to look at. An 8x10 print should notbe held up to your nose to see and a 20x30 should be in a frame, on a wall, and viewed from at least 3-5 feet, meaning you don't necessarilyneed 300 PPI (pixels per inch) when printing that big. Read the attachedthread below, with the main emphasis being what SHAY STEPHENS says regarding a calculation you can do to arrive at the right resolution to print at those bigger sizes. When you put the numbers together, you'll find the E-500 has plenty of available resolution to print at about whatever size you want to print:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=177
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:25 PM   #3

Thanks Greg,

Some very great info you have provided me with, here, and I really do appreciate it.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:55 PM   #4

I would recommend you get Qimage for your printing. It automatically uprezes your images beyond their native resolution, making it possible to get extremely high quality at just about any size (when viewed at proper distance). I've printed at home up to A3+, and am going to have some A1 posters done; a pro friend has exhibited prints from the E-1 at A2 size also done using Qimage.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:55 AM   #5

Norm ~

Many thanks to you, also. Iam finding out, and learning so much from all of you very knowledgable - and very helpful - members, here, and I just can't thank you enough.
________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:46 AM   #6

Nathan

i have just had 3 30x20 prints done and hopefully will get them tomorrow in the post, will let u know what i think of them when i see them......from my e-300.

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:07 AM   #7

Gary,

Thanks a heap. I am REALLY looking forward to that.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:07 AM   #8

the pics arrived today.tuesday, crappy postal service

anyway, .................WOW

they are quite stunning.........am very very impressed with the results and the paper is really thick too, going to get 3 big frames for these pics this weekend and get em on the wall.

dunno if quality differs between labs or not but had these done with online people at photobox, think its .co.uk

id risk having one done if i was u............:-)

Gary
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:18 PM   #9

Gary,

I apologize for misinterpreting your previous post. I, somehow, read that "getting them in the post" referred to your uploading some of the pics :-). It would be nice (if you get the time, and wouldn't mind) showing some of the fruits of your labor. I bet they are indeed nice, and I am very glad that you are well satisfied with the printing service.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:20 PM   #10

had the 2 in this thread printed out............they are reduced a lot in size for web ofcourse

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

my main intrest is panoramics at moment there are some on my site..... www.hd7.co.uk

well at least you know that 20x30s will come out great if u have any done ever

Gary