Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:33 AM   #11

I like the way the water flows!

I am guessing:

1. Did you trigger the shutter using a remote control (infrared or cable) or press the button with a finger?

2. It looks like it focused on the lights in the background to the right rather than the waterfall?

3. Many cheaper tripods are not really stable. There are no EXIF data in the picture, but the compressed look seems to indicate you zoomed to around the 150mm, in which case wind can make a flimsy tripod vibrate.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:20 AM   #12

1. Did you trigger the shutter using a remote control (infrared or cable) or press the button with a finger?

I finger-pressed the shutter button, as I don't have either version of the remote controlled activators.

2. It looks like it focused on the lights in the background to the right rather than the waterfall?

That could very well have been.

3. Many cheaper tripods are not really stable. There are no EXIF data in the picture, but the compressed look seems to indicate you zoomed to around the 150mm, in which case wind can make a flimsy tripod vibrate.

Yes, the one that I am using is a cheap one ($30/ Walmart), but there was hardly any wind, to mention, during last night's shooting. As far as EXIF data is concerned, I am going to have to learn how to save it with the photo. But here is some info which was gained by pulling the photo back up into the Olympus Master program:

Focal Length: 46.0mm
Shutter: 1/1.3 sec
F.No: F3.7
Exp. Comp: 0.0EV
Flash: off
Saturation: ---
Color Space: ---
ISO: 200

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:41 AM   #13

Honestly, I think that's a very good photo and I can find nothing of significance to criticize. I would say that the only "issue" I have is the common occurence that the picture is rather flat and needs some post processing. As I've mentioned before, that's pretty much standard. In my limited digital night photography experience, I found the photos to be EXCEPTIONALLY flat right out of the camera.

As I look at your photo, I see the makings of a wonderful picture (better than anything I've done...unless you like pictures of old building on vacant lots!). It just needs a bit of work to get some color into it and bring out a touch of detail.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM   #14

Thanks for the kind words, Brent.

I didn't really attempt any PP in Photoshop, with this one, because of wanting to display just what was taken. I did do some PP on a few other photos, but determined that the changes were more akin to damage :-), rather than enhancement. I know what it boils down to, though: much more picture taking, and a great deal more involvement with Photoshop.

________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:01 AM   #15

If you press the button with your finger, use the self-timer at two seconds so the tripod / camera gets time to stop vibrating. Best is however the infrared control.

But, yes, as Brent said: the picture looks good and looks sharp to me in the size shown, but I gathered from your comment that your were not happy with it in full size. The flowing water looks gorgeous and you can regulate the contrast using curves (Ctrl-M) and perhaps saturate the colours (Ctrl-U) in Photoshop.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:08 PM   #16

A lot better looking than the shots I got from Maid of the Mist during the day a few weeks ago, the water looked so awful!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:48 PM   #17

Thanks Mike. You know, I absolutely love the 'Falls. As many times as I have been up there, over the years, one would think that I have more than had my fill. But the exact opposite is true. In fact, I am very anxious to get back there as soon as I can - but next time from the Canadian side. I can just about imagine the kind of shots that I could get from that angle.

________
Blessings,

Nathan