Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:24 AM   #21

Greg: go to sleep! Just kidding.

A few more questions:

what setting were you using? SHQ? HQ? What compression?

Did you PP alot of your photos?

Do you change the sharpness, contrast, etc.?

Also, I noticed that you lowered the exposure a little? How did you know to do this?

stripperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:24 AM   #22

Greg: go to sleep! Just kidding.

A few more questions:

what setting were you using? SHQ? HQ? What compression?

Did you PP alot of your photos?

Do you change the sharpness, contrast, etc.?

Also, I noticed that you lowered the exposure a little? How did you know to do this?

Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:31 AM   #23

sorry. my pc messed up.

Also, did youpost-process a lot of your photos?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:31 AM   #24

sorry. my pc messed up.

Also, did youpost-process a lot of your photos?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:53 AM   #25

Let's see if I can answer all those...

I shot RAW exclusively, so I made no in-camera settings for the various perameters likes sharpness, contrast, white balance other than just to leave them alone in the default settings. I adjusted them later in the post processingas neededwhen I ran the files through Capture One LE RAW converter. I took four 1 gig cards on the tripand a 40GB Wolverine imagetank. Every evening I unloaded the cards into the image tank, reformatted and used them again the next day.

I utilize two types of metering. I am not a fan of multi-segment metering. I like center-weighted and spot so I know what the camera is metering. All outdoor shots were taken using centerweighted metering.

Indoors I switched to spot. The reason why is because there are lots of variations in lighting in churches. Beautiful paintings, dimly litstatues or beautiful frescos on the highceilingsnext to bright windows. I would pick out a portion of a subject, determine whether it was to be a darker or brighter area within the scene, metered in spot mode,and adjusted my exposure compensation accordingly. I'd take the picture and check it on the LCDto see if I got the image the way I wanted (the beauty of digital). If not, I adjusted further until I got the image the way I wanted it. Averaging or multi-segment metering in many cases will take the bright parts ofa scene and overpower the lower-lit areas. Spot metering assures meI'm getting the results or metering on the areaI want. One subject in particular, stained glass windows. I always made sure I was metering only the stained glass, not the dark walls around it, and I'd usually adjust the compensation by -1 or so to deepen the colors and prevent overexposed, blown out areas.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:36 PM   #26

Greg. Thanks a ton. See my latest post on why a chose the E500. Any thoughts?

Keep up the great work buddy. I was checking out your stuff on Smugmug. Love the 7-14 lens. Fabulous work.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:23 PM   #27

I think you'll like that body alot. Did you get the two lens kit with it? I know you're looking for a faster normal lens, but I've seen some awfully good photos made with the 40-150 f3.5-4.5. Also, Sigma is about to start selling (this Fall, I think)several of their more popular lenses in Olympus mount, including their 18-50 f2.8- you and that lens might be made for one another. I know you were looking at the Panasonic (Leica) lens as well but I think, at least at first, that lens is only going to be sold with the L-1 body as a kit. I will be keenly looking at reviews of the L-1.It looks like the ergonomics will be great, but I think the combination is going to cost too much money at first. For the money, and since I already have the lenses, I'd go with an E-500 or E-330 if I were looking for a body right now.

Here's a posting on those new (for Olympus users) Sigma lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sigma43rds.asp

I know there are several E-users right now impatiently waiting for the 30mm f1.4 and 50-500.

I have been very happy since moving to my current outfit, especially with the 7-14. The other two lenses are very good too, but the 7-14 is really unique.

Post some images for us when you get a chance.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:45 PM   #28

Will do. I have a lot to learn but will post and hopefully I will develop. I am currently using Kodak Easyshare Gallery. http://www.kodakgallery.com/davidcummings The earlier ones are with an Olympus p&S (Stylus 300) and Sony p&S (P100). The Italy pics are kinds interesting. Some good golf shots using my dad's Olympus C7000.

SmugMug looks a lot better. Easy to post there? I have already started on Kodak though.

I did get the two lens kit (last week). But, I couldn't have made the decision without having rented the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 lens. It helps a ton. SO, I think with the Sigma 2.8 14-50 coming out in the fall, I will just buy a used the 14-54 for now. Want it for my upcoming trip to Amsterdam/Brussels. Will the OIS on the Leica help in low-light? That is my main interest. (I think I will get over this low-light fetish soon)
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:35 PM   #29

are tehre any sites that review RAW coverters? Currently I am using CS2 with the OEM olympus raw converter plug-in, I am not to happy so far... the previews are very small and really hard to see if your getting it right before conversion.

thanks

Schu
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:04 PM   #30

stripperdave-

I use that Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens on my Nikon D-50 and have been very impressed with it. Here is an existing light sample. I would certainly buy that lens for my E-500 when it is available as I really like that lens.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote