Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

I am going to Malaysia leaving monday for vacation. I bought the camera knowing I'm going on this trip even thought I wanted it for some time.I am relatively new to this rig and I wanted to know if anyone feels I will need a second battery ... I should have about 3 days between charges during my trip...
adamwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:41 PM   #2

I always carry a three batteries and a storage device. I will be taking a Wolverine MVP 60GB and Hyperdrive 60GB to Europe. I can get about 7500 RAW E-500 pictures on them. I have two Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF to rotate.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

mckennma wrote:
Quote:
I always carry a three batteries and a storage device. I will be taking a Wolverine MVP 60GB and Hyperdrive 60GB to Europe. I can get about 7500 RAW E-500 pictures on them. I have two Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF to rotate.
Ditto. Just got back from 12 days in Paris with my E-300. Ihad 4 1GB cards and took over 1400 images, downloading each evening into a 40GB Wolverine image tank. I also took three batteries and I'm glad I did. Everytime one pooped out it was in the middle of the day. I have mine numbered and use them in rotation.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:02 PM   #4

It would help if you said what camera you own, as different cameras have different battery life.

You can save power by not continually using the LCD monitor. The E-300 (and probably E-500) are capable of 400 shots on a single charge. If you use the E-330 using live view a lot, you are going to get less shots.

Personally I wouldn't go on a trip without taking at least two batteries (I own four).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:27 PM   #5

I quess its time to buy a battery.. As for the card is the4 4-gb microdrive fast enough to use?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:04 PM   #6

adamwarp wrote:
Quote:
I quess its time to buy a battery.. As for the card is the4 4-gb microdrive fast enough to use?
A microdrive is another reason to get at least a second battery, as they do draw more power than a CF card. As a rule microdrives aren't that fast, but unless you plan to shoot in burst modeit should work OK.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:57 PM   #7

Just a personal observation.

On my first charge, using an E-500, I got 460 shots before I got a low battery warning. That was an "average" mixture of flash and no-flash shots.

On my second charge, I got 510 shots before getting a low battery warning. That was with fewer flash shots and more no-flash shots.

I'm quite surprised (and delighted) at the battery performance.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:15 PM   #8

You can save on battery life by leaving the LCD off and using CF high speed media for faster writes. I usually turn my E-500 off, when not shooting. It turns on in a second. I don't use the flash. I can get around 450-500 pictures on a E-500 battery. An extra battery will come in handy, if you can't do a nightly charge.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:47 AM   #9

I carry extra batteries for everything, even my CD player while jogging. My camera would be no exception. One note on the microdrive; from what I've read in other forums they're more delicate than a CF card so if it's not going to be in the camera for the whole trip be careful on the handling/packing.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:51 PM   #10

OK I'm back from the trip... 2GB was not enough... I bought another 2GB card while out there. The battery on the other hand is great!! I never got a low battery alarm. I charged it every 400 pictures or so.. Thanks guys for the comments.