Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:35 PM   #1

First off - If I am ready I have already made up my mind to the E500...

Where we live we cannot rent or try out camera's.. Just handle them in the store. I looked at the Canon Rebel.. My friend is trying to sell me his old Nikon which I did not like the feel of immediately.. I handled the 500 at Office Max and liked the feel of it best.. Plus a few features too.

Now, to my question "Am I ready".....

I now have a Kodak DX6490 with a Olympus 1.7x tele lens... and for quick shots I also have a Kodak C643... I love both of these cameras..

When comparing zoom distance with my DX to my friends Nikon with a big heavy lens ( cannot remember which one it was).... I found my DX 10x zoom to go as far as that great big lens... I could not imagine trying to get a picture hand held with that camera and lens.. Nor do I understand why pay all that money and have a huge lens with it will not zoom any further than my DX 10x...

Where am I going with this?? Well, simple put for the money -- will I be any further ahead going SLR ???? I guess this may be a stupid question but what would be the advantages??

I look at a lot of my friends pictures from his old Nikon and his new VERY expensive one with $300. lens...... I don't see a lot of difference in quality so far and he knows what he is doing..

I am ready to do something new but not sure jumping into SLR is the next step..

Your thoughs would be very helpful..

Cree

Zoom distance is my main priority... (along with pic quality of course )
Attached Images

Cree77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:50 PM   #2

Several things to consider...first, even though I'm a DSLR owner (E-1)I would never encourage anyone to spend money simply for the sake of getting something new. I did very well with a 4 MP fixed-lens DSLR (E-10)for nearly 6 years before upgrading. If you're considering the E-500, good for you.With the kit lenses, you have a zoom range of 28-300mm covered. Remember, that's short of the Kodak's 380mm comparable zoom, but generally dedicated lenses have better quality than their fixed-lens cousins (as an owner of the 40-150mm I can personallytestify to it's sharpness). Adding lenses (even third party)will cost you. The primary advantages of the E-500 would be an increase to an 8 MP sensor and a more flexible system. You can easily add a third party flash (built-in's are OK in a pinch, but to really learn flash photography you need an outboard unit),close-up lenses, filters,etc. The scene modes will expand your point-and-shoot options. Finally, going to an Olympus model will give you something that anyone using interchangeable lenses for the first time will appreciate...the dust-shaking SSWF.Do you really want to drop $800 or so on a new system and then go poking around it's most sensitive part with a glorified Q-tip every month? It was the closer for my deal. I know you looked at Officemax but check the intenet, ebay, etc. for the best deal. Beware of any "super-low" prices you see. Often times there are hidden shipping fees or continuous follow-up calls from salespeople to try to sell you more. B&H Photo is the recognized leader in reputable online sales (not always the cheapest, but reliable...no, I don't work for them). At the end of the day, your decision will lie with how much you want to continue learning about photograhy. A more flexible sysem is a great teaching tool. You can experiment with so many different features and situations. If vacation snapshots & family photos is all you see in the near future, hold on to your money...with the rapid developments in digital cameras the next new thing is just around the corner!
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

Thanks Stowaway...

Oh yes I know online is the best place for a buy.. My Oly lens for my DX I purchased at B&H...

I am more into wildlife and senic photography.. Thus I really like lots of zoom with good clarity..

My friend who is trying to sell me his Nikon -- I asked him to let me take a picture with it then one with my DX...... I really wanted to see comparison of quality.. This would help me greatly... But he didn't seem to want to go there.... I would not have bought it anyway - as I said if I were to go SLR it would be the E500....

Kodak has a new P712 coming out in a few days that is a 12x zoom 7.1mp... My Oly lens would fit it too...

I am still up in the air on what to do.. Stay digicam or go SLR..

I guess I am still looking for the advantage/reasons why SLR??

Cree
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:03 PM   #4

For me, above all other considerations, is the quality of the image.

There are legitimate cases to be made for various types of cameras and arguments about flexibility and convenience.

I gave up an image stabilized Panasonic with 12x zoom to get an E-500. The E-500 is much less convenient, much heavier, and generally more of a nuisance to use.

It also producess substantially superior images.

I've posted hundreds of pictures in various forums over the years. I've had a 4x6 photo printer for almost 4 years. the truth of the matter is that if you are downsizing pictures for the web or printing out 4x6's, nothing over 3MP is going to make much difference...DSLR or otherwise.

But I grew tired of snapshot sized photos and web postings. I wanted to print 8x10's that didn't look digital. I wanted to be a "serious" photographer like I was years ago when I did my own darkroom work. I wanted to be able to make a poster sized image once in a while. You really need a DSLR for the quality that makes big images possible. It's not just megapixel count...it's the arrangement and mechanics of a DSLR

Look carefully at this duck picture and you'll a 100% crop of his eye are in the lower right corner. That's a 160 wide pixel section...roughly the resolution you'd see if this was a 20x30 print. That's why I gave up the convenience of my IS super zoom and bought an E-500.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:45 PM   #5

Thanks Brent...

Like you I got tired of the 4x6 quickly... Oh they are great for the photo album but I bought a Kodak 1400 eth.. printer for bigger prints...

I guess what I need to do is look at a lot of pictures comparing quality difference of the two....

What do you do with all those larger prints?? We only have so much wall space in our house...:lol:

Cree
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:13 AM   #6

Hi Cree,

Like you I have used the 6490 for a year and a half. I wasimpressed by the quality of the pictures it produced and with the 10x optical zoom. I could reach out there. I also used the TCON-17 but discovered that it only shined to make close things closer. At a distance it did not have the quality I was looking for. You may have seen some of my work in the Kodak forum. After awhile I realized (like you probably are right now) that I reached the limits of the cameraand I wanted more. I wanted a camera that took photographs and did not have to compromise between video and pictures. I researched for months on all the major brands of cameras and settled on the OlympusE-500. Right out of the box without hardly reading the manual the quality of the photosfrom the Olympus left the Kodak in the dust. I've only had it for a week so I have much to learn. Yes you are going to have to get those "Big" lens to reach out like the 10x did. A dedicated lens on most any DSLRwill out perform a mulitifunction lens on a digicam.TheDSLR has so many more options than a digicam. You can be more creative with it. Higher ISO's, faster shutter speeds etc. Right now I don't have any of the bigger lens which for me is a good thing. It is teaching me to be a better photographer by getting closer to my subject and being creative. I am no way sorry I made the switch. In summery, if you want to take pictures stick with the digicam. If you want to be a photographer and take photographs then in my opinion you need a DSLR.

Good Luck,

Old Jim
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:34 AM   #7

I've recently bought an E500 after using an Oly C5050 and a Fuji S5500 both with a TCON-17 and a WCON 0.7.

The old setup gave good pics out of the camera and they were convenient to use.

With a dslr you have a couple of issues.
1. you will need to post process images more as there is less in-camera sharpening and contrast adjustment.
2. you will be changing lenses but at least the E500 has ultrasonic sensor cleaning so dust is less of a problem.
3. you will be back on a learning curve.

None of these things is bad but your first results may be disappointing - persevere as the E500 is a great camera and has the potential to upgrade lenses to pro quality rather than buy a whole new camera :-).

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:07 PM   #8

You guys have given me a lot more to think about... Although other than telling me the pictures are better I have not read to many up side to doing the SLR thing to warrant the hugh PRICE difference.... Today I was in town and went and looked at the E 500 again.... I do like the feel of it over the Nikon and Canon..

Unfortunately - as I said we do not have anyplace where we can rent one.. All we can do is hold one with the cord attached to the counter.. :shock: So I guess what I would really like to be able to find is a place where I could go and look at pictures with a side by side comparison of a QUALITY digital and a dSLR... Like maybe the same picture..

Anyone know of someplace online like that???

For me, its just a LOT of money getting into the SLRs without really seeing a good reason to do so... I don't mind spending the money to do so if I can see the difference to it...

Hope that was not to confusing..:?

Cree
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:26 PM   #9

Cree77 wrote:
Quote:
... Although other than telling me the pictures are better I have not read to many up side to doing the SLR thing to warrant the hugh PRICE difference....
Cree

Uh, well, other than better pictures, there arent' too many reasons to buy a DSLR.

But "better pictures" are kinda' the whole idea.

There's a reason Sinar view cameras and Hasselblads cost more than Kodaks and it's not because of convenience.

Ulimately, things that produce a better product cost more. And the picture is the end product. If you are looking for a different, compelling reason to buy a dslr, you might be out of luck. I can't tell you a dslr is lighter. A dslr doesn't have those super zooms and you have to change lenses so it's not more convenient. A dslr certainly isn't cheaper.

You get better pictures. It's bigger glass putting light onto bigger sensors. Big glass is heavy and big sensors cost money.

ANALOGY: I own an HDTV. Why? Better picture. It's heavy and expensive. Other than a better picture, there is no compelling reason to own it. But the better picture is important to me.

How important is the better picture to you? It's not a big deal for some folks. An album of 4x6" pictures or jpegs in email don't needdslr quality. If you like enlargements or submit for publication, you'll want a dslr.

Only you can determine if that quality is justification for the expense.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:48 AM   #10

Cree-

You might take a look over at www.pbase.com. You can sort photos by the cameras used. That way you could compare photos from specific cameras. Lots of folks on this forum, when they are searching for a camera do that.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote